Forums -> Multiple monitors -> "Broadcasting" multiple monitors to remote locations
Phil   2009-09-18 05:52
One off request- may need translation help into tech-ese...

Is there a way to send contents of my 3 attached "displays" to remote monitor(s)?
i.e. I want to have a conference call but I want to have viewers see all three of my screens at the same time. In practice now they would only be able to see one of my monitors and only by using scroll bar feature (Webex share desktop feature) could they view 2nd and 3rd monitor.

Is this only dependent on the size/resolution of remote monitor?

Anybody know if this functionality exists?

Thanks

Phil- attempting to master technology
Christian Studer   2009-09-18 11:18
Your desktop-sharing application would need to support this, or you would need to give the viewers access to your system via a remote control application which has support for multiple monitors, for example VNC or pcAnywhere.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Calvin   2009-12-14 07:28
Christian, you are not properly understanding Phil's question.
I use dual monitors both at work and home, and have the same dilemma as Phil has. I use RealVNC. It gives me access to both monitor with horizontal scrollbar. The screen of the dual monitor appears as a single huge resolution screen (1920*2400).
As Phil wants, I'd like to display this huge screen onto the remote (at home) dual monitor as a single screen. I can expand the windos size across the monitors, but when I set it to the FULL SCREEN mode, micro$oft windows kicks in and restricts the windows size to 1920*1200, which fits in a single monitor.
I haven't tried Ultramon, so I don't know if Ultramon is capable of change two 1920*1200 screen to one 1920*2400 screen.

calvin
Christian Studer   2009-12-14 10:49
UltraMon can't help with this, for this to work, VNC's fullscreen mode would need to be designed to be stretched across multiple monitors.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
ecarlson   2009-12-14 15:09
Calvin:

If you are accessing a recent version of Windows and have a recent version of the Remote Desktop client installed (v6.1 or v7), then the /span switch for the Remote Desktop client should let you expand the remote desktop across both of your monitors. Supposedly Windows 7 also added some other improvements for multiple monitors with Remote Desktop.

RAdmin (now at v3.4) is another remote control app that will work with multiple monitors, in addition to the ones Christian mentioned.

Phil:

These apps that Christian and I are mentioning are remote control apps, not so much for remote sharing with clients and such, though some might work in a pinch (not Remote Desktop though since it uses a virtual desktop, and you can't have the remote (virtual) and local desktops active at the same time).

I'm not familiar with which apps will do exactly what you want since most of my experience has been with the remote control type apps as opposed to apps designed for remote conferencing situations.

PS: It looks to me like Christian understands Phil's question. It looks like Phil and Calvin are trying to accomplish different results, even though both involve remote access and multiple monitors.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Calvin   2009-12-15 16:02
Thanks for your reply, Eric.

Yes, I'm using mstsc v6.0 with /span options on a Windows XP machine, but it doesn't help. That /span option makes mstsc work exactly work as RealVNC does. It does not allow expanding the remote screen across the local monitors in the full screen mode.
In the normal window mode, I can expand it across the local monitors, but it leaves the title bar on the top and scroll bar in the bottom, therefore blocking the full remote screen.
I love the speed of mstsc, as RealVNC's speed really sucks, but it seems there is no solution for my dilemma.

Thanks again, Eric, and kind regards,

-calvin
ecarlson   2009-12-16 12:09
Did you try MSTSC 7.0? It's available for XP and Vista. I'm not sure it will be any better, but it is free, and it certainly won't hurt.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Calvin   2009-12-18 05:48
Oh, V7 is there?
Thanks a million, Eric.
I'll give it a try.

-calvin
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> "Broadcasting" multiple monitors to remote locations