Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Another PCIe/PCI Mixing questions
Dale   2009-10-24 03:34
I have a Dell Inspiron 530. I've been happily using two monitors with an 8800GS PCIe card. I've just added an 8400GS PCI card, intending to add a third monitor, and I can't get it working in either XP or Windows 7. In 7 I end up with a black screen on one monitor attached to the 8800GS, and no signal going to the other monitor on the 8800GS or the monitor on the 8400GS. In XP, the best I've done is to get the monitor on the 8400GS working, but with either a completely black screen, except for sometimes a huge square cursor, on one of the monitors attached to the 8800GS. Very frustrating since these are NVIDIA cards from the same series and take the same driver.
Dale   2009-10-24 09:48
Just to clarify what is happening... When I have both cards in I have three monitors hooked up. Say that monitors 1 and 2 are on the 8800GS PCIe card and 3 is on the 8400S PCI card. When I boot up I get the post on 1 with no trouble. I make it through to the Windows 7 startup screen with the swirling lights. When it is time for Windows itself to start up, though, 1 goes black. 2 and 3 never get a signal.

What hasn't helped:
1. Driver upgrade
2. Changing which of two PCI slots I use.
3. Which card I set to initialize first in the BIOS.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Another PCIe/PCI Mixing questions