Forums -> Multiple monitors -> multi monitor with Dell Latitude D531
buddha6   2009-11-01 01:38
I've been using Ultra-Mon for what seems like decades with terrific results, so before I jump into my wife's project I thought I'd ask here first.

She wants to run a multi monitor setup with her Dell Latitude - D531; Vista; ATI Radeon X1270.

Is this system capable of supporting an additional monitor, and, if yes, any tips?

Thanks in advance.
Austin Hastings   2009-11-07 02:19
FWIW, I'm driving 3 x 22" LCD monitors from a Latitude D820.

The thing is, I'm cheating by using ASUS "DisplayLink" monitors, which directly support USB video. My "1" monitor is connected to the VGA adapter, and the "2" and "3" monitors are connected to an external USB hub.

There are some USB-to-VGA converter boxes available, if you've already bought the monitors.

=Austin
buddha6   2009-11-12 05:12
Thanks much. I only needed to hook up one external and it seems to be working well with the Latitude except that Vista appears to lose the settings when rebooted. By that I mean, it "forgets" that she wants the desktop extended to the right and when she reboots it defaults back to the right.

I think I'll try UltraMon on it and see how that works.
Austin Hastings   2009-11-22 23:33
Buddha,

You should also look at a piece of freeware called "display changer" (I think) from 12noon. It gives you a command line you can use to reposition monitors, so you can specify that thus-and-such monitor goes as position x,y. I'm using UltraMon and DC to good effect (although I don't have the forgetful-windows problem, I do use some other sweet features of DC.)

=Austin
buddha6   2010-02-15 20:08
Thanks for the input and the suggestions. She can now use both monitors effectively with Vista & UM, but I want to upgrade the system to W7.

Ciao...
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> multi monitor with Dell Latitude D531