Forums -> Multiple monitors -> PCI-E X16 and PCI-E1 Video Cards - compatible
Slick   2009-12-16 13:17
I'm trying to find out if anyone knows of any issues/problems in installing a 1x PCI-E video card with one 16x PCI-E video card?.

I'm trying to find a reasonable way to run dual video cards in a HP desktop that only has 1 16x PCI-E slot (and 3 1X PCI-E slots). IE ... I'm trying to get 3 monitors to run.
Thanks
ecarlson   2009-12-17 07:06
It shouldn't be a problem.

Since X1 cards are relatively expensive and somewhat rare, you might think about either modifying the X1 slot so an X16 card will fit, or buying a cheap X16 card and modifying it to fit in an X1 slot. People have had success with both methods.

I need to replace the secondary PCI video card in my work PC with a PCIe X1 card, due to the slow performance of the old PCI card, and I don't think they would like me modifying one of the X1 slots in my new work PC, so I might try modifying a cheap (about $30) X16 card to work in an X1 slot. If it doesn't work, at least it's only $30.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
ecarlson   2009-12-17 07:18
Of course, the other option, which also is not cheap, is to buy a PCIe X16 card that can directly handle either 3 or 4 monitors. ATI has some nice new cards that can handle 3 monitors at once if you want modern technology.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Christian Studer   2009-12-17 07:51
I used to use such a setup, two Nvidia NVS 290 cards, one x16 and the other x1, worked fine with Windows 7, Vista, XP and 2000.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> PCI-E X16 and PCI-E1 Video Cards - compatible