Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Nvidia Quadro FX vs Geforce SLI
oftalmos   2010-01-07 10:02
Hi to everyone....

Im building a new machine FOR AUDIO PHOTO and VIDEO....

My motherboard is the Gigabyte UD7 it has 4 PCI express.....(2 run at 16x and 2 run at 8x)

I really dont understand if the SLI mode applies all the time or only when people play videogames....???

Im in between buying four independent videocards (nvidia quadrofx) ....8 monitors....or buy 3 geforce videocards in sli mode....6 monitors

If I buy 4 independent cards ¿Should I buy the same model?...because someone told me that the most important card is the first one...and the others dont work at their full potential....
so maybe I can buy an expensive one for the first slot...and then buy cheap ones....but I dont know if the images is going to be different from one monitor to the other....I dont know if the rendering mode applies only to the first card or all the four cards use the rendering mode at their full potential....

Another option is to use 2 cards on sli mode and the other ones without sli mode....but I dont know if the desktop is going to look different from one monitor to the other....

Can anyone explain?

Thanks...
Christian Studer   2010-01-08 07:49
SLI is only for games, two video cards will be used to render the image for a single monitor for improved 3D performance.

Do the two x8 slots have an x16 connector? If not, you won't be able to install a regular video card there.

In general I would recommend getting the same model, mainly to reduce the chance of compatibility issues.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
ecarlson   2010-01-14 11:32
As indicated, SLI is not relevant since you will be running multiple monitors. That board should work fine with 4 of the same, or similar, PCIe X16 video cards. If you do plan to use different model video cards, you might want to at least make sure they all use the same driver.

Also, if you're using something like GeForce 8400GS video cards, then the power supply shouldn't be much concern, but if you are using high performance cards (unless only 1 of the 4 is high performance), then pay attention to how much power the cards ACTUALLY need (don't automatically assume you need a huge power supply, which seems to be a fad these days among some people).

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Nvidia Quadro FX vs Geforce SLI