Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help! Laptop plus 2 external monitors
Martin   2010-01-17 22:59
Hi,
I have a Sony Vaio laptop with NVIDIA GeForce 6400 driver. I have attached 2 external monitors and want to use both of these via Dualview (Win XP). However, in my NVIDIA control panel I only see the options Laptop+Ext Mon 1 or Laptop+Ext Mon 2. I don't see Ext Mon 1 + Ext Mon 2. In other words, I am looking to use the 2 external monitors for DualView and not necessarily the laptop monitor as well. One monitor is connected via VGA and other via DVI to the laptop docking station. In the Single Monitor view all 3 are listed, so I can switch from one to the other, but not the 2 external ones at the same time (with DualView).

Does anyone have a tip what I need to do to get my 2 externals to work at the same time?

I have installed UltrMon, but cannot see how this helps solve my problem (although a neat tool).

Thanks in advance.

Martin
Christian Studer   2010-01-18 10:09
You can't use all 3 monitors, but only the two external ones should usually work fine with a docking station. Do you have all 3 monitors listed in Display Properties? If yes, try if you can disable the internal monitor there.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Martin   2010-01-18 17:39
Thanks.

When I go into Display properties, I see one of the external monitors and the laptop. I chose the laptop screen, Advanced->Monitors and tried to disable the Plug and Play monitor. However, when I come out the laptop screen is still active. If I go to Single Monitor, I can toggle between all 3 monitors, but as soon as I switch to Dualview, it gives me the options of each of the external monitors plus the laptop monitor. Is there some other way to disable the laptop monitor?

Regards,

Martin
Christian Studer   2010-01-19 10:10
I'm not sure what else you could try, maybe the dock or video card doesn't support this.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Martin   2010-01-19 17:56
Thanks - I have purchased a USB-SVGA adaptor and will give that a go.

Martin
Mach   2010-02-20 20:28
FYI, the Geforce 6400 or any Geforce for that matter CANNOT support more than 2 monitors at the same time. Just because you can hook them up doesn't mean that you can drive them all at the same time.

Futhermore, with that USB to VGA connector, it will NOT be supported through the Nvidia control panel because the control panel supports only the Geforce 6400.
Mach   2010-02-20 20:37
Ok, I sorta misread what you were trying to do. I believe that the reason you cannot do so is due to a physical limitation on the dock itself.

Most video cards have 2 video connectors for 2 monitors. I believe that one of those connectors goes to your laptop monitor while the other one goes to the dock. Then, within the dock, it "switches" between the DVI and VGA connector. This explains why you cannot use both at the same time.

The only other choice the laptop manufacturer has is making one of those connectors choose between the laptop screen and external monitor, which means you'd be forced to not use the laptop screen if an external monitor is connected. For most ppl, this is an inconvenience.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help! Laptop plus 2 external monitors