Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Medical Monitors
Brendan   2010-02-19 15:25
I am a physician and am looking for a solution to displaying digital xray images on monitors in each patient room. I have a tablet PC which i would like to carry into the room and bring up images on the tablet for that specific patient and mirror that window to a monitor on the wall. I have 5 exam rooms and do not want to have PCs in each room. I am trying to avoid violation of privacy laws by pulling up images from a database of other patients that can be seen by the patient in the room. Ideally it would be great to be able to activate a specific monitor on demand to mirror the specific window on my tablet wirelessly. Then to walk into the room next door and do the same thing with a different patient on a different monitor. Any suggestions?
ecarlson   2010-02-20 04:41
What are the 5 monitors going to connect to to do the work of displaying the images? Do you plan to have them all connect to one computer? How far will the cables need to be to reach all 5 monitors from the 1 PC? If you're going to deal with expensive cable solutions, it might be the same cost (and safer from a privacy aspect) just to have a cheap PC ($200 or less: It can even be an older model that you might be able to get very cheap, or even free), since it only has to display an image) in each room instead.

If your rooms are in 2 different areas, say 3 in one area and 2 in another, you get 2 computers, and connect 3 monitors to one and 2 to the other.

Also, do you have a software solution in mind for displaying the correct image only in a particular room, and for keeping data secure? I think that would be a bigger issue than just getting images to display on monitors.

One option, off the top of my head, if you have a computer in each room, would be to use remote desktop (or a similar solution if you are not using Windows, or prefer something else) from the tablet to control the computer in each room, and not have a keyboard or mouse on the computer in each room.

I'm sure there are myriad possible solutions, so these are just some ideas and questions to get you started.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
ecarlson   2010-02-20 04:48
Actually, since Remote Desktop uses a virtual console, and doesn't interact with the actual local console/screen, it might not be the correct remote solution, but there are free and inexpensive remote control options, like VNC and its variants, or RAdmin 3.x, and others.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Medical Monitors