Forums -> Multiple monitors -> RDP not able to move across monitors.
DScoffers   2010-03-30 23:02
Hi all,
I have a setup of 3 monitors all on the same resolution with the centre monitor as my primary monitor.
When I run a Terminal Services RemoteApp connection, I can only move the window on my primary monitor. when trying to move to other monitors, the mouse stops at the edge of the screen.
When setting the left screen as my primary, everything works fine.
When using a normal Remote Desktop Connection, everything works fine.

I think this may be a RemoteApp limitation, but I hate having the main taskbar on the left screen.
Has anyone else come across this issue or found a solution?
e.g. Is it possible to have the left screen as primary, but he main taskbar on a secondary monitor?
Many thanks,
ecarlson   2010-03-31 11:21
I had the same problem when running a remote app. I just run my remote desktop apps in a remote desktop client session, so I can move it wherever I want. If you do find a way to get individual remote apps to work correctly between local monitors (other than putting the primary monitor on the left), please let us know.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
ecarlson   2010-03-31 11:23
PS: Yes, you can move the standard Windows taskbar to any monitor, even to any side or top of any monitor. It doesn't have to be on the primary or on the bottom. Just unlock it, and drag it where you want, and re-lock it.

Christian Studer   2010-03-31 11:39
I'm seeing the same issue with Server 2008, but with Server 2008 R2 I can freely move the remote app, independent of display configuration (even works fine when using different resolutions). I was using Windows 7 on the client system.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
DScoffers   2010-03-31 23:11
Solved.
Thanks all.
ecarison: Your simple solution was all I needed.

1. Set the left monitor as primary monitor.
2. Move Taskbar to middle monitor.

Now TS RemoteApps open and can be moved between all monitors.

This works fine on Server 2008 (not R2) with Windows 7 client.

ecarison: Why is this solution not ok for you?
My difficulty was not wanting the Taskbar on the left monitor. What is your restriction for not wanting the primary monitor on the left?

Thanks again all.

Dave Schofield - www.fanfare-events.com
ecarlson   2010-04-01 02:32
My middle monitor is my 22" LCD monitor, and I want it to be primary so anything that usually occurs on the primary monitor will occur on the 22" monitor. The left and right monitors are only 17" LCD monitors.

I guess the "real" solution is to make sure the host is 2008 R2 or Windows 7 Ultimate/Enterprise, since they properly support multiple monitors as host when the client has the v7 RDP client.

Unfortunately, the host I'm connecting to where this is an issue is only 2008, not R2. Though it's not really a big deal for me anyway, just a minor annoyance at the moment.

Forums -> Multiple monitors -> RDP not able to move across monitors.