Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Quad Monitors on Dual Video Cards
ImFlying   2010-04-19 16:31
I'm building a new computer for my office and moving up from dual to quad displays. I have the MSI NF750-G55 SLI motherboard and have two PNY GeForce 8800GTS-512 PCI-E dual view cards. The operating system is Windows 7 Pro and the monitors are four ASUS 22" widescreens. I have a few questions for somebody. Since I don't want to do gaming, do I still need to connect the bridge between the video cards to make this work? What about there being only one power connector for the two cards? Does Windows 7 or the Graphics software handle the multi display? Will Ultra-Mon handle this configuration? Sorry lots of questions but I can comment on someone elses post about the Tyke quad stand. It is very nice and solid built. Only $118 plus shipping, the cheapest that I found anywhere. Thanks,
ecarlson   2010-04-20 10:38
You don't need to install the bridge since you won't be using SLI mode. Windows 7 should have no problems handling the 4 monitors. I don't use UltraMon, but it will handle 4 monitors too.

I don't know what to do about the power connectors. I've only used video cards that don't need additional power connections.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Chris M.   2010-05-02 09:43
You can install the SLI connector or not and the graphics cards will work independently either way. I have 3 x 9800 GTX+ with the 3-Way SLI connector installed, but I do not have my configuration set to us SLI at the moment. However, because I have the SLI connector installed I have the option of changing one setting in the Nvidia control panel and being in SLI mode for when I maybe want to play a game on my PC.
Each card will need its own power connector so it is recommended that you get a PSU that has enough PCI-E connections to support what you are doing. If the PSU you have does not have them it can act as a rule of thumb that maybe you need to get a PSU with a little bit more output. This may not always be the case but is a good rule to follow to ensure that everything is going to behave as intended. For instance it may boot up if you use a molex-to-PCI-E converter for the extra connection needed and run just fine but as soon as something intensive happens if the PSU is inadequate to the needs of the video cards as they start to use more power it will cause significant problems.
Windows 7 will work fine with at least 6 monitors since that is what I have setup currently and it handles them great.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Quad Monitors on Dual Video Cards