Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Unable to have both video cards working at the same time.
Joe   2010-04-23 20:21
I have installed two video cards on a Dell Inpiron 545. They are both ATI cards (Radeon HD 4350 pci-e and an older 9200 pci).

I thought that inserting a video card only disabled the onboard video and that I would still be able to use two video cards if they were from the same manufacturer.

However, the result is I can only see the monitors on one card at a time. They each work if monitors are only connected to that card but they won't both show up in Control Panel at the same time. I'm running Windows7 and I've read conflicting views on Windows7's ability to support multiple video cards - so I'm none the wiser..

Is there any way to get this to work?
ecarlson   2010-04-24 02:22
Do you see all the monitors in Display properties? Have you gone into the BIOS and tried setting one or the other card as primary? Having the correct card as primary in BIOS sometimes allows both cards to work properly at the same time if they don't already.

I've used a PCIe X16 card and a PCI card at the same time, but I've only used NVidia and Matrox cards for that, not ATI cards.

For performance, I eventually replaced the old Matrox PCI card with a cheap new NVidia PCIe X16 card modded into a PCIe X1 card (as seen on my web site) since I had open PCIe X1 slots.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
greg   2010-05-10 06:31
Windows 7 and Vista do not support PCI cards in any way - you will need to have 2 PCIe cards for this to work in Windows 7 and/or Vista
ecarlson   2010-05-11 05:15
Windows Vista and Windows 7 support PCI fine. Who told you they didn't?

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Unable to have both video cards working at the same time.