Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 2 Monitors and 1 tv on HD4870
Jimmy Ch.   2010-06-24 08:56
I have gotten hold of a Radeon HD4870 (1 Gb, 2 x HDMI + 1 x S-Video) and I wan’t to know if there is any way I can connect my 2 BenQ T221WA monitors and my TV at the same time, under Windows 7 or by using Ultramon or the likes? I can live with a multiple display profile setup, where either the 2 monitors or one monitor and the TV is “active” and I can switch between the profiles without plugging/unplugging cables and restarting and so on..
Of course I would prefer both monitors and the TV utilized at once, but I can live with the aforementioned setup. Does anyone have any experiences with this combination?
Christian Studer   2010-06-25 10:04
Most likely the card only supports two monitors at a time, but you can still connect all 3 and then switch between 2 monitors or 1 monitor + TV via Windows Display Properties.

UltraMon display profiles currently don't support this, but you'll be able to do this with the next release, 3.1.0.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Tom   2010-07-06 23:22
Are there any preliminary releasedate for 3.1.0?
Christian Studer   2010-07-07 11:14
Not yet, it's still under development.

wadimm   2010-07-15 00:19
You can use Matrox DualHead2Go (139-170$)
You can Use Radeon HD 5450 - 3 display (EyeFinity)with adapters.
(40$ - 60$) or more powerful Radeon HD 5XXX
calcuttaman   2011-12-15 09:22
Ok I have 3.1 and I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong.

I have 3 outputs on video card (vga, dvi, hdmi). I had a monitor connected to vga and a 2nd monitor connected to the dvi. I then saved that profile (just clicked ok on everything).

I then connected a tv to the hdmi and rebooted, win xp/ultramon recognized the tv and I configured it to use 1 monitor and the tv. I then saved that profile.

I then clicked on the first profile thinking that would shut off the tv and start the monitor in its place. Nothing happened.

Am I missing something?
Christian Studer   2011-12-16 07:15
I guess the video card can only drive two monitors at a time? In that case you would need to switch between TV and monitor via the software for the video card, UltraMon can only do this on Windows 7 unfortunately.

calcuttaman   2011-12-16 09:23
Yep, like most video cards mine has 3 outputs (dvi, hdmi, vga) but you can only use 2 at a time.

I am using xp. I would seriously consider upgrading to win 7 thou to get this capability.

So just to confirm, others are using video cards like mine and turning monitors off/on via ultramon?
Christian Studer   2011-12-17 06:55
I have such a setup myself with an ATI card, works fine with UltraMon 3.1.0. The reason this is only supported on Windows 7 is that a new API was introduced for configuring this, on previous versions of Windows this was video card-specific.

calcuttaman   2011-12-18 12:27
Darn, just checked to see if I could upgrade my xp to win 7. Really can't as it needs to be a new install. Might not be a bad thing, now I'm looking at I7 processor with 16 gbs memory!
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 2 Monitors and 1 tv on HD4870