Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Monitors >24" in portrait mode (pivot / turned 90°)
Olaf   2010-11-19 01:15
Hi there and thanks for reading!

I'm currently preparing a new PC. The goal for this PC (I'm an application developer, so no gaming, but the need for DirextX nevertheless) is to extend the screen real estate and enhance my way of working. That is, I'd like to replace the two 21" monitors (landscape) I currently have with three ones (portrait).

The size of the new monitors is really only limited by two things: money and the ability to support portrait mode (I think this is called "pivot" for monitors, I'm not sure though).
That is, I'd choose 30" if they weren't so expensive (I wouldn't want to spend ~3-3.5k EUR on the three displays), so I guess I'll come down to 27" which IMHO offers the best price-performance ratio at present.

I'm a fan of Matrox (over the last >10 years, I've found they were the only ones that supplied the best [software-] tools for multi-monitor systems), so here's the card I found: Matrox M9148 LP PCIe x16
This card will support up to 2560 x 1600 per output (DisplayPort) or up to 1920x1200 (DVI).

So here's my questions:

- Does anybody have a similar setup?
- Any recommendations about other cards or confirmations about the one I found?
- Any recommendations about monitors that would qualify?

Cheers,
Olaf
Valamas   2010-12-07 08:48
Hi Olaf,

I think your plan is excellent and looks like you wont have any problems. I am a Dell monitor fan i a know you are going that way.

cya
Valamas   2010-12-07 08:55
btw, I have dual 24's floating off my desk because I am using a monitor arm attached to the back of my desk. I love it.

Check these out.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_i_0?rh=k%3Atriple+monitor+stand%2Ci%3Aoffice-products&keywords=triple+monitor+stand&ie=UTF8&qid=1291762130#/ref=sr_st?keywords=triple+monitor+stand&qid=1291762360&rh=k%3Atriple+monitor+stand%2Cn%3A1064954&sort=-price
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Monitors >24" in portrait mode (pivot / turned 90°)