Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Desktop ICONS moving
Glenn   2010-11-22 07:43
Hello, I have read several posts about problems with the desktop ICON's moving around.

Here is the problem I just started having. I'm running Windows XP Pro with Ultramon V3.0.10. I arrange my ICONS like I want and then used the "Save Position" option in Ultramon. Now when I lock the computer (using ctl+alt+del) and then come back and unlock it (same user) all the Icons have moved in a vertical line on the left side of the monitor. I can use the "Restore Position" and it puts them back in place, but the next time I lock/unlock the pc they move back in a vertical line on the left side of the monitor.

This happens for all the ICONS on the desktop, not just specific ones. (and none of them really have similar names).

Any ideas?

Thanks
Glenn
Christian Studer   2010-11-22 09:39
I'm not sure why the icons would get moved, but it's unlikely that this is related to UltraMon. To verify this, check if you have the same problem if you position the icons as desired, then close UltraMon and lock/unlock the computer.

Icon names are only an issue on Windows Vista and later, earlier releases of Windows don't have this problem.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Glenn   2010-11-23 09:50
I did as you suggested and arranged the icons like I wanted and then closed Ultramon. After locing/unlocking the Icons did still align to the left side of the screen. I arranged the Icons again (still with ultramon closed) and locked/unlocked the pc. This time the Icons did not move. I started ultramon back up and now when locking/unlocking the icons stay where I want them.
Antonio   2018-02-28 06:34
Recently users at my firm experienced the saga of "moving desktop icons" after UltraMon was installed; After reading several of the previous cases dating back over the years, it was realized that UltraMon is working correctly, in fact, it does it job well in preserving the position desktop icons.

Our Fix/Resolution:
Arrange the desktop icons as desired | Save or "preserve position of desktop icons" | uncheck the option to Save so it will not automatically update when the laptop is used in another environment.

Here is the work around to retain your desktop icon settings

Solution:

* Arrange the desktop as the user desires

* Navigate to the System Tray

* Right Click on the UltraMon icon

* Select Options

* On the General Screen | Desktop Icons | Place a checkmark in the box to "preserve position of desktop icons"

* Select "Save Now"

* Uncheck the "preserve position of desktop icons" (to retain the settings until you desire to change the arrangement)

* Click "OK" to exit

In the event your desktop icons lose their place and do not restore correctly,

* Navigate to the System Tray

* Right Click on the UltraMon icon

* Select Options

* On the General Screen | Desktop Icons | Select “Restore Now”
Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Desktop ICONS moving