Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 2 External Monitors on a laptop
Michael Nickson   2010-12-14 23:18
Hello all,

Some collegues of mine want to use 2 external monitors with their laptops. They dont want to use the LCD in the laptop, but they do want two external screens. I currently use a docking station for my HP Compaq nc6400 laptop and connect two external screens with no problems, but when I try their laptops in my docking station they cannot see that there is a second screen connected. If UltrMon was installed on their laptops (HP Compaq 6710b) would this solve their problems or do they have a hardware issue which is causing their laptops to be uncompatible with 2 external screens?

Our IT department is as much use as a chocolate coffee pot and have said they cannot connect 2 external screens.

Please can anyone shed any light on the situation as i've been reading loads of forums on the matter and would like a simple/quick solution which is what i think UltraMon is.

Michael Nickson
Christian Studer   2010-12-15 08:55
I'm not sure what might cause this, but UltraMon won't be able to help with this.

One thing you could do: to check if the laptops do support two monitors, connect an external monitor to the laptop's monitor port and check if you can use both the internal and external monitor.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
ecarlson   2010-12-15 15:38
Are their laptops fully compatible with that docking station? Did you shut down those computers before docking them, then boot fresh with them docked? Did you use the laptop's keyboard hotkeys to enable the external monitor(s)?

Did you try enabling at least one external monitor directly connected to those laptops, like Christian asked?

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Gregg   2011-01-01 08:38
Iogear sells a USB to SVGA adapter (GUC2015V) that will show a monitor as an extension of a laptop. That plus the VGA connector already on the laptop would do for 2 external VGA screens powered by the laptop and its internal video chipset.
There may be other units on the market now that would do the job as well or better.

Gregg
Cannoli   2011-02-11 05:25
I realize this is a reply to an older topic, but in case there is still an issue, if all these laptops are HP, as you noted you have an nc6400, some of the lower end business laptops such as the 6510/6530 do not support multimonitor configs in the docking station. In such cases, the DVI port on the dock is not usable. Dual display is supported in the slightly higher end models such as the 6900 series. I ran into this myself as my company initially provided me with a 6510 but I couldn't use the DVI on my port replicator so had to upgrade to the 6910.

Hope this helps.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 2 External Monitors on a laptop