Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Having Trouble w/second monitor
Perry   2010-12-15 08:53
Hi There,
I've been trying to set up a monitor attached to my dell Inspiron 1720 laptop in order to have a dual monitor set up; the first being the laptop screen and the second being the monitor. The monitor is a dell 1907FPV 19" LCD monitor, which is recognized by the OS (Vista 32). The laptop only has a D-SUB input on it and I only have a DVI cable, so I purchased a (insanely overpriced) DVI -> D-SUB converter from radio shack to connect the two. The problem I have is that the monitor gives me the message "2: Digital Input. In Power Save Mode. Press any key on keyboard or move mouse." Analog Input gives the Self Test feature.

I've Tried several things to try and remedy the problem, including restarting both the laptop and monitor as well as updating my graphics drivers. The laptop came with a GeForce 8600M GT, which by all accounts should be able to run two monitors.

What can I do to fix the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Perry
ecarlson   2010-12-15 15:46
That monitor's DVI input is a DVI-D input, meaning it only supports digital signals. You'll need a VGA cable between the laptop and a monitor.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Perry   2010-12-16 11:58
Thank you so much Eric.

That was an extremely easy fix and it worked beautifully.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Having Trouble w/second monitor