Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dell Dimension 8100 + GF2 GTS AGP + new G450 PCI isn't working...
Duran Goodyear   2002-02-06 07:58
ok.

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 and a Dell Geforce 2GTS.

I wanted a second monitor, so I bought the Matrox G450 PCI Dual head.

My plan, and what up till now thought worked was that I could keep the AGP card (no way I'm not using it) and plug the G450 in to a PCI slot, and TADA! I can plug in a second monitor (and a third, later on if I get psycho.

well

I power down the machine, pop the case, slap in the new G450 card (not in a slot RIGHT next to the AGP)...
boot...

and I get this message, RIGHT after the dell bios screen:

"Plug and Play Initialization error"

So...
I reboot, and I go to the bios
and, since I haven't removed the matrox, it won't even let me get to the bios.

so, I remove the G450, and get to the bios, and make sure that AGP is the master video controller.

doesn't work, i get the same error.

so, I move the g450 card to a different PCI slot.
same error.

I remove the AGP GF2, and just have the G450 in, and now, it works fine.

So, I went and looked at the bios updates from dell, and while it has something about fixing AGP when no NIC is present, it doesn't really apply to my problem.

has any one found a fix for this?
or know what to do?
(besides dumping the AGP)

heres my system specs.
Win2k PRO SP2
Dell Dimension 8100
P4 1.5
512 mb ram
60gig ata100 HD
DVD
CDR
Turtle beach santa cruz sound
Canopus systems, PCI video capture card with Firwire.
Dell Trinitron 21 inch monitor.

the new card is a Matrox PCI g450 dual head (both are db15)

thanks.

Hartley Sweeten   2002-02-08 06:59
I have seen similar problems with other systems. It appears that the problem is caused by the BIOS not completely supporting PCI-to-PCI bridges. The G450 card has a HiNT PCI bridge on it that is used kind of like a PCI-AGP bridge. The PCI version of the G450 uses the same controller as the AGP version. They need the bridge because the chip needs to exist on the bus segment by itself.

Without an upgraded BIOS I don't think you are going to get that setup to work.

Hartley
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dell Dimension 8100 + GF2 GTS AGP + new G450 PCI isn't working...