Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Radeon 7500 Monitor + TV problems with UltraMon
Ben   2002-02-07 16:37
I am currently running a Radeon 7500 with a MAG 19 inch monitor as the primary and a TV (via s-vid out) as the secondary. Although I can turn the secondary monitor (TV) on and off with ultramon and move apps between the displays with hotkeys, I am unable to switch primary/secondary or to dynamically change resolutions with the program. Is there any way to make this type of setup work like this? It can all be done with the ATI driver settings, but I wanted to have it done dynamically with an ultramon shortcut for DVD playback on the TV!
Christian Studer   2002-02-07 23:12
What operating system are you using?

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Ben   2002-02-08 03:46
Windows XP... no win2k limitations for me
Christian Studer   2002-02-08 05:11
Please run the script from SecondaryInfo.zip and post your results here.

You can copy the system information to the clipboard by pressing CTRL+C.

Ben   2002-02-08 07:53
---------------------------
VBScript
Secondary monitor:

2. Default Monitor on RADEON 7500

Display settings: 800x600x32 @ 1152,0

Removable? True

Available display modes:

320x200

320x240

400x300

512x384

640x400

640x480

800x600

1024x768

1152x864

1280x768

1280x1024

1600x1200

1792x1344

1800x1440

1856x1392

1920x1080

1920x1200

1920x1440

2048x1536

OK
Ben   2002-02-08 07:54
Remember that this is connected to the TV out of the rAdeon, if that helps.
Christian Studer   2002-02-08 08:08
Thanks for the information, this answers why you can't change the primary monitor: the secondary monitor is designated as removable, and Windows doesn't allow you to set a monitor as primary which is removable.

You also won't be able to set this monitor as primary from Display Properties, the option 'Use this device as the primary monitor' will be disabled.

Not sure why you can't change the display resolution, there are obviously multiple display modes available. I have uploaded a script that changes the secondary monitor to 640x480, download here. Please let me know if it works.

Ben   2002-02-08 08:43
Ok, the script works fine. The reason I can't make an Ultramon shortcut is that the options to change monitor resolution under the Shortcut dialog are greyed out for Monitor 2. The drop box next to monitor two only says <no change>.
Ben   2002-02-08 08:48
Thanks for all the help so far. The only question I had is why the TV can be made teh Primary monitor by going through the ATI drivers dialog boxes. The chief problem with this, other than the fact that it can't be done dynamicaly while loading different apps is that if I make the TV the primary, than all of my icons and the taskbar end up on the TV.

Also, is there any possible way to fool windows into not thinking the TV was a removable monitor?
Christian Studer   2002-02-08 09:08
You should be able to select a display mode, click on the combo box next to the monitor combo box to select a mode.

The user interface will be improved in the next release, I'm working on a complete redesign of the shortcuts feature for Beta 7.

As far as I know there is no workaround for the primary problem, the removable status of the display is set by the display driver and can't be changed. No idea why ATI does this, usually this is only done on laptops (I guess to prevent an external monitor, for example in a docking station, from being set as primary).

I'm not sure what exactly the ATI primary display option does: on my laptop with an ATI Mobility card, I can set the second monitor as primary in ATI display options, but that doesn't make it primary in Windows display properties. The only effect this setting has on my system is that I can play DVDs on the monitor that is set as primary in ATI display options.

Ben   2002-02-08 11:15
I tried the combo box next to the monitor selection box, but it does not have any options in it other than no change. You are right about the ATI primary/secondary change. It merely changes where the icons and taskbar are and where the overlay goes.
Christian Studer   2002-02-09 02:32
Seems to be a bug in that case, should be fixed in Beta 7 (as mentioned before the shortcuts feature is being redesigned completely).

Let me know what you would want the shortcut to do, and I'll send you a script that does this. Please contact me by e-mail so that I can send you the script.

Dietzcj   2002-03-05 03:12
I too am having the same problem it sounds like.
I have the AT radeon 7500 dual, tv out, 64 ddr card and am having a hard time getting the dual monitors to work.
I am using windows xp and I have a Samsung 19" and a Dell 17" monitors. The samsung monitor is the primary, and the dell is second.
Every time I extend my desktop to the dell monitor, it doesn't show up. I have the displays tab open and it shows that I have a TV enabled ! But that isn't the case, so what I did was plug in the samsung monitor in and booted up, then plugged in the dell, and now it displays a picture.But every time I reboot with the monitors plugged in then it goes right back to the TV being enabled.
At no time have I plugged in the svideo cable to plug in a tv. I have the correct drivers installed, but I also can't find the vendor who made my card "Powered by ATI". All it says is "Performance Edition". No vendor details at all.

Thanks Chris
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Radeon 7500 Monitor + TV problems with UltraMon