Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Explorer error with dual monitors
Stuart Culp   2011-08-08 07:02
I have Windows XP Home, Sp. 3 with all updates. The graphics card is a Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5800. The motherboard is an MSI 890FXA-GD65. My system is new and everything seems normal except for what happens when I set up 2 monitors.

When using dual display and Microsoft screen savers such as 3D FlowerBox, 3D Flying Objects, 3D Pipes, etc., and when I close the screen saver, I get a message that says Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close, etc. If I close the message window, all the desktop icons and the taskbar will disappear for a few moments and then reappear. However, sometimes they do not reappear and I have to reboot the computer to get the functioning desktop to return. If I return to a single display I do not get the Explorer problem. If I click on the message to get the details of the error, the system locks up and I cannot get to the details. Otherwise, the dual display method seems to work fine.

I have tried the 2 monitor setup with both the Desktop-Properties method as well as the Catalyst approach included with the video card. There is no difference. I have contacted both the video board manufacturer and the video chip manufacturer and they have not been able to help. I had hoped that changing to a better dual display software such as UltraMon that the problem would be solved, however the symptoms remain.

Can anyone help me with a solution? Your comments and assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Christian Studer   2011-08-08 07:45
Sounds like an issue with the video card driver, I guess you don't have this problem when using a 2D screen saver like Beziers or Mystify?

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Stuart Culp   2011-08-09 02:12
I tried Beziers and Mystify and they didn't cause the problem. I've felt for a long time that it was a video card/driver problem. It's difficult to get the two manufacturers to agree. Originally, the Catalyst didn't work, so I wrote to ATI. They said that GigaByte made the card so I would have to talk to them. Gigabyte gave me a software update that made the Catalyst work, but that left the Eaxplorer problem. They felt it was a Windows problem or maybe ATI drivers. The ATI web page shows a suite of software which includes the Catalyst, but that would put Catalyst back where it started. Currently I am trying to see if ATI has just the updated drivers.

Although I didn't specify the video card manufacturer, I think this experience shows that buying the card from the same manufacturer as the video chips is the best approach.
ecarlson   2011-08-11 13:56
Which driver were you using initially? The latest one from AMD (11.7)? That is the one I would suggest starting with if you haven't already. You might want to first uninstall whatever other drivers you installed.

Also, make sure your motherboard has the latest BIOS installed (from MSI, of course).

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Explorer error with dual monitors