Forums -> Multiple monitors -> GeForce 3 ti 500 AGP / GeForce 2 MX 400 PCI
Hartley Sweeten   2002-02-11 07:06
Well I finally got this setup working but I ahve some issues. Maybe someone out there has an idea...

Initially I had the GeForce 3 ti 500 installed and everything was working fine. When I installed the GeForce 2 MX 400 it was detected and the drivers were installed. After a reboot the system boots on the AGP card (BIOS setting) but once the Windows 2000 GUI started both screens turn off then the PCI screen turns on with the right half green and the left half black. At this point the system was locked up.

I went into the BIOS and set the boot VGA to be the PCI slot. On the reboot the system POSTs on the PCI screen and boots into Windows. As soon as the GUI starts my primary switches over to the AGP card and everything appears to be working correctly. I am able to enable both monitors and position them corerctly.

Here's my problem...

If I run the dxdiag utility that is supplied with DirectX it shows all the acceleration features on my AGP card are disabled and the enable buttons are all grayed out. On the PCI card it is showing the DirectDraw and Direct3D accelerations enabled.

Does anyone have an idea how to get the acceleration features re-enabled for the AGP card? I think the problem may be that the system is booting with the BIOS on the MX 400 and it is not able to enable the ti 500.
Jeff Gibson   2002-02-12 14:19
I'm in a similar boat... I'm trying to set up a win98 SE system with the same cards you listed and I'm starting from scratch. I installed win98 and DX8 with my Ti 500 (agp) card in so it was recognised as a basic PCI card. After many attempts I found that if I installed my second card after DX8 and before I load drivers for the first card it lets me have 2 basic PCI cards leaving the secondary unavailable for use (since basic PCI does not support multiple monitors).

At this point I was able to install drivers for my AGP card and then after reboot I was able to install drivers for my PCI card. In essence both seem to work fine but here's the rub my AGP card no longer allows the full range of resolution.

I need 1600x900 on AGP and 1024x768 on PCI but now my AGP card only allows 1280x1024. If you don't need full range of resolution and if 2k acts like win98 and your willing to start from scratch you're in business!

Good Luck.

Jeff g.
Hartley Sweeten   2002-02-13 01:39
Unfortunatly I'm running both displays at 1920x1440. I'm probably going to stick with the setup I have for now since I ahve work that needs to be done. If I get some down time (yah right) I might try everything from scratch later.

If anyone else has some ideas I would like to hear them.
Hartley Sweeten   2002-02-13 01:40
Man I need to slow down... I just re-read my messages... I keep typing ahve for have
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> GeForce 3 ti 500 AGP / GeForce 2 MX 400 PCI