Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual Monitors setup fine but lose resolution after power down
George H   2012-11-30 01:43
Info: Dell Precision T3500, Windows 7 x64 Ultra, nVidia Quadro 2000, nVidia (display port) drivers, dual Dell U2212HM 21.5" Wide LCD, (Dell U2212HM drivers, display port cables, (DP to DP),XBOX 360 via VGA on 2nd display.

After a successful 10 month run of Quadro 2000 card in Windows 7 machine with dual displays, I upgraded the type of cable I was using. Originally I had a dual display setup using DP to VGA adapters and VGA cables to 2 Dell U2212HM displays set to native rez of 1920 x 1080. The screen was never clear with poor quality text. Swapped cable for new DP to DP cables since Dell U2212HM and Quadro both have a DP connection. The quality was incredible, crystal clear like never before! That was the only change. It ran great in dual display setup, native rez with same drivers, everything was the same from Thursday to Saturday. Saturday I found my display settings at 600x400 and noticed W7 now sees my U2212HM's as Mobile PC Display's set at 600x400 rez. There's no choice of a higher rez. DL'ed latest drivers; U2212HM (display port) drivers. The drivers installed and appear in Device Manager but Windows still sees only Mobile PC Displays. No luck through Nvidia Control Panel either. After testing all components successfully, I did a clean install of the Quadro again. I got my 'amazing' rez back. Everything was great again for a few days. It's also worth noting that I have an Xbox 360 plugged into the 2nd display. I've had this setup for a couple of weeks and its been running great. My second display doubles as my Xbox display and I use the Display Menu to swap between Display Port and VGA Input. I haven't experienced any issues with this setup and I have been using it successfully at least a couple times a day for the last 2 weeks. The other night I was on the Xbox and 2nd display in the dark and the blue logon screen on the first display was bugging me so I powered it down. The next morning I powered on the 1st display and swapped the 2nd to Display Port to use the PC. The 1st display was back to 600x400 while the 2nd display was fine at 1920x1080. I don't usually power down the PC or displays but they do sleep. I went to check the display settings and sure enough the 1st display is seen as Windows Mobile Display while the 2nd display was set correctly as the Dell U2212HM. I also noticed the 1st display drivers reverted to Generic Plug and Play drivers while the 2nd display is still using Dell U2212 display port drivers. So it would seem the power down of the 1st display and how W7 sees displays is in question. I tried changing the 1st display driver back to the Dell U2212HM display port driver but W7 display is still Mobile PC Display. I don't want to do another fresh install. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
George
Christian Studer   2012-11-30 08:36
I don't know what might cause this, but the change from VGA to DP will cause the operating system to detect if the monitor is enabled or not, meaning if you turn off the monitor it will also get disabled in Windows, which won't happen with VGA or DVI.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual Monitors setup fine but lose resolution after power down