Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 2 projector presentation
Evan   2002-03-12 11:59
Greetings everyone,

I am working on the design of a powerpoint presentation to be shown at my school. I currently run two monitors at home, and would like to create a presentation that will run on two projectors, with each showing a different picture - similar to a video wall. Is there software out there that will do that for a graphic intense presentation?

This is a slide show that will highlight our school with a lot of pictures. "Bigger is better" and for a school that does not always shine technology wise, I would like to amaze everyone.

Any ideas?
--Evan
evan@out2teach.com
Scott   2002-03-16 04:46
If you know anything about Flash, or know anyone who does, it might have the solution for you. The "projectors" it can create (the output of a Flash movie) can be any size, and fullscreen, ie the ful resolution spanning both monitors. It doesn't sound like you have too difficult of a project to throw together in Flash, so that might be the best bet.

Good Luck!

Scott
Axident   2002-03-20 13:34
I do that sort of thing for a living. There are several ways to do it. The Expensive ways:
Look at Dataton's Watchout software. It uses a network to link multiple PCs and projectors, soft-masking the screens so there's a seamless join and then letting you create animations that move smoothly between them. Costs several K per hardware key.

There's a company that manufactures hardware cards with 4 video outs per board. Each of these outputs can be offset so they overlay one another. With a bit of hardware masking you can get a 3686x768 screen that'll be seamless. Boards cost about $6k each.

The cheap way:
Use a MATROX dualhead board and NT or 2k. You need a board or video system that'll let you use the desktop as a single huge screen and matrox does this well.
Just use powerpoint and create a setup that's 2 screens wide by one high (hate that *(*@ing Imperial system that Powerpoint uses. Thought that died in the 18th century. Just set it for about 20inches wide by 10 high: it'll fill the screen). Half the screen will be on one projector, the other half on the other. You can run video, flash or whatever on either side. Or use Astound, or Director, or whatever you prefer or can afford.
3 Wheels   2002-03-26 05:53
I'll have to agree with the above post. Just put extra cards in your PC and run UltraMon.

I just did a big show last night that looked a lot like the screen at this year's Oscars. I used PowerPoint stretched across 2 "ATI Xpert 128" cards. Worked like a charm and everyone loved it. I can send you a photo if you like.

You don't really need a dual head card. 2 or 3 regular cards will work just fine.

As stated in the above post, just make your PowerPoint page size fit your multi-monitor aspect ratio. The default for PPT is 7.5"x10". I simply set up a page that is 7.5"x20" for 2 monitors, or 7.5"x30" for 3 monitors.

Of course you dont have to put the projectors side by side, but that's another subject!

Sidecar Man.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 2 projector presentation