Forums -> Multiple monitors -> GeForce4 Multi Monitor: Not all DVI connectors are alike
Gryphon   2002-03-21 15:27

I've been very excited about the GeForce 4 multi-monitor support on the same card. But I was confused by the the fact that most of the cards comming out have one VGA connector and one DVI connector. However I was told that DVI interface supports analog output also and that all that was needed was a DVI to VGA adaptor.

This is not completely true. After purchasing a VisionTek Xtasy 4600 I found that the DVI-VGA adapter would not fit. After some research I learned that there are at least two different DVI plug types DVI-D and DVI-I. DVI-D is a digital only plug. DVI-I is both digital and analog and will accept a DVI to VGA adaptor.

A friend of mine that bought the PNY GeForce4 card. It has a DVI-I connector and he has no problem running two monitors. I'm returning my VisionTek card.

I hope this message will keep others from making the same mistake I did.
HReiss   2002-03-21 16:41
Thanks,

That's exactly the kind of info that is hard to find from the mfg's PR and Marketing pages :)

HR
levram   2002-03-24 06:33
I also have the Visiontek Xtasy 4600 but my card has the DVI-I. I used the dvi-vga adapter for the wildcat from dell ($8). I am now running two analog monitors on the Visiontek Xtasy 4600.

Mike
Miki   2002-03-24 09:02
I' ve seen on a pc website a cable adapter for vga exit for two monitor(split the vga exit in two new vga exit), do you know more about it?
JoeT   2002-04-10 03:38
bump
Gryphon   2002-04-22 10:59
I thought I would post a follow up to my original message.

The best I can say is that the Visiontek Xtasy Geforce 4 Ti4600 I got had
what looked liked a DVI-D connector. The cheep DVI to VGA connector
I had would not fit on the connector on the card. From my admittedly brief
research the only way you could interface a analog monitor to this connector
was with a $300 digital to analog converter. I returned that card to the store
and got a PNY Veto GeForce 4400. This card had a DVI-I connector on it
and it works great. I run two analog monitors with nVidia's nView software
and it works fine. In fact it's better that my old two card setup because
hardware accelerated OpenGL now work flawlessly with all my applications.

Anyway this was my experience. I have heard stories about people who have
gotten dual head working with the VisionTek card. Perhaps they have different varieties. If so they are not well marked on the box. So as
usual your mileage may vary.

A visual DVI reference.
http://www.cable4pc.com/dvi-846.htm

Patrick Down
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> GeForce4 Multi Monitor: Not all DVI connectors are alike