Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual Monitors = Scratchy Sound
Thomas   2002-03-25 17:32
System: P3 600Mhz with 512mb PC 133 SDRAM, Dual 20GB HD, SB MP3 Audigy with Yamaha TSS-1 Surround Sound Speakers.
Primary Monitor: 17inch, Radeon 64mb DDR ViVO AGP
Secondary Monitor: 15inch, TNT2 16mb PCI

Problem: When I activate my second monitor, all sound in video's or music becomes totally scratchy. I've tested different sound cards (SB Live, SB MP3 Audigy) and different speakers ranging from headphones to speakers to digital surround sound.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

~Thomas
Digital Matrix Website
jimmy   2002-04-13 05:49
i have the same problem, but it seems to be due to my crappy secondary video card (a mere S3 trio 2mb). Whenever i have a music application on the trio's monitor and try to surf the net (doesn't matter which monitor it is on) it will make scratching noises and get distorted. however, wheni use my music apps in my primary display (a geforce 2 mx200 tv=out) the problem no longer is there. I will find out if this the truth when i get my nvidia TNT2 M64 PCI card to replace the crappy S3 Trio. I'll post an update when i get my system updated.

AMD Athlon XP 1600+
ECS K7S5A Mobo
256 DDR SDRAM PC1600
2 20gig WD Harddrives
Primary: Geforce2 MX200 Twinview at 32bit (adding a 20' Sony WEGA FD TV connected via S-VIDEO later this month)
Secondary: S3 Trio 64v+ 2MB at 16bit (going to replace with a TNT2 32MB PCI next week)
DVD
CD-RW
jimmy   2002-04-13 05:51
doh! you have a tnt2.. hmm.. what kind of mobo do you have? have you updated your bios and drivers? (i know, very basic questions, but a nice reference point to start at)

AMD Athlon XP 1600+
ECS K7S5A Mobo
256 DDR SDRAM PC1600
2 20gig WD Harddrives
Primary: Geforce2 MX200 Twinview at 32bit (adding a 20' Sony WEGA FD TV connected via S-VIDEO later this month)
Secondary: S3 Trio 64v+ 2MB at 16bit (going to replace with a TNT2 32MB PCI next week)
DVD
CD-RW
Christian Studer   2002-04-13 06:17
I had a similar problem when using an onboard sound card, when playing videos on secondary monitors the sound was distorted. Installing a PCI sound card (Turtle Beach Montego) fixed the problem.

Video cards: AGP GeForce3 + 2x PCI GeForce2 MX.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Nite   2002-04-13 08:25
Just noticed that I have the same problem, but so quiet that only noticeable with high volume and headphones. doesn't bother me at all.

WinXP Pro
Elsa Gladiac Ultra AGP (Primary -Win)
ATI Graphics Pro PCI (Primary -BIOS)

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web - http://mmgw.nitesade.net
Saeed   2002-04-16 06:42
I an having the same problem with my setup. My secondary monitor is running a RageXL and whenever something with sound (winamp, CD, or Instant Messenger) is being used then I hear a scratch. However when I move it to the primary monitor, with an ATI Radeon 7200, all is well.

I've heard the Rage chip doesn't work properly under NT systems, so once I get some money I might upgrade for another card, and use the Rage in a server instead.
Fargis   2002-04-29 21:50
I had the same problem (dodgy sound) once with GeForce256 DDR AGP and Diamond Viper V550 PCI (name could be wrong, it's been a while now!), so i took the Viper back, replaced with Voodoo3 2000 PCI, and never had a single problem since. The V3 happily coexists with nVidia and Matrox (in particular the good old Millenium PCI) based cards under Win2K, and XP.
Mike Hurley   2003-04-28 23:54
jimmy, how were you running an s3 as secondary? i've been told that's impossible in xp pro, it has to be primary, and i can't get my s3 to work secondary... did you do anything special? (my primary = tnt2 32mb)
yoshi   2003-05-12 23:03
Getting scratchy sound when you have two video cards is usualy caused by the PCI video card taking up all the bandwidth on the PCI bus and not leaving any for the poor sound card. Sometimes updating your motherboard bios and your sound and video card drivers might solve the problem. If that doesn't solve it it's time to check out all those strange settings in your bios having to do with PCI mastering, PCI latency and such. By default some motherboards have those settings set up in a why that gives the PCI cards too much freedom over how much PCI bandwidth they can take and how long they can keep it in the hope that PCI card makers will be nice and share. Here is a great site that explains what those bios options do in a somewhat human readable way. www.rojakpot.com
So if you feel daring dive into that bois and see if you can get your video card to behave.

Here is your standard use this advice at your own risk. I can only show you the door, you are the one that has to go through it, don't blame me if you screw up your computer.
Eric Carlson   2003-05-13 11:43
I have no problems with sound. I'm running a SoundBlaster AWE64 ISA sound card in the lone ISA slot in my computer. I was going to get a PCI sound card just to be up to date, but since my ISA card serves me perfectly well, and a PCI card has the potential for problems, I guess I won't be upgrading anytime soon. And it leaves more PCI slots open for other devices.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Justyn   2004-08-23 08:56
OK, so I have had this same problem that many creative sound card owners have trying to rid themselves of that God awfull noise that is made when your 2nd graphics card makes when on that monitor and audio is playing. I have also spent hours aimlessly searching for the solution to my problem. I tried messing with IRQ's and all of that business and still nothing. Until yesterday when I finally found a solution to the problem. I don't know if this will work for anyone else but it did for me.

Here is what I am working with:

Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra Motherboard
2.4 Ghz P4 Processor
768 MB DDR 2100 Ram
Windows XP
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
Video Card for Monitor 1 - ATI VisionTek Xtasy Radeon 9100 (AGP 4X)
Video Card for Monitor 2 - ATI Xpert 128 (I think its 16MB maybe 32 ... basically a piece of junk)
I also run Ultramon and Powerstrip to get the colors of my 2nd monitor to match the 1st one.

I just have had that second card kicking around and it basically sucks. But lets be honest 2 monitors are handy. Ok .. the first card isnt that great either but anyways.

He is what I did to fix my problem:

I went into control panel and tweaked the performance of my audio card. Trying different things to see if it made a difference. Right now I have Hardware Accelleration on Full and Sample Rate on Best.

Then I right clicked on the desktop opened properties. Clicked the settings tab at the top and selected monitor 2 ... or whatever one is having the problems. I dropped the Color quality to Medium 16 Bit. Then I clicked the Advanced Button clicked the Troubleshoot tab to make sure it was on full. Then I clicked monitor and dropped the refresh rate of that monitor from 85 to 60.

Now I no longer have the noise problem. I know its kinda sacrificing quality for this annoyance but its better then going to buy another audio card. I dont know if this will help anyone else out but I hope it does.

Justyn
gordrog   2006-05-07 07:50
There is some consolation in knowing others have the same problem. My MadDog somehow became a BadDog over time. Using XP I get terrible noise on my speakers, can no longer clone the monitor, and most strangely, if I connect my sound-out to my TV (my second display) the desktop graphics become corrupted. Also strangely, this doesn't happen under ME so lucky I have dual boot to watch my Yahoo music videos.

x
Austin   2007-06-09 06:16
I have occasional scratchy sound and music and speaking slows for a few seconds before resuming to normal. I have upgraded my RAM to 1.93 gb. That improved speed quite a bit, but didn't take care of the sound problem. The main video card is ATI Radeon Express 200. The two video cards for the four additional monitors are Radeon 7000/Radeon VE.

I'm thinking that perhaps I should have gone with better video cards.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Austin
Ewano   2007-06-30 10:44
Hmm.

I seem to remember having a similar problem with a creative sound card on Via chip set mobo.

1) Creative sound cards (of the vintage SB Live 5.1, Audigy 1 and 2) have a badly implemented PCI PCI latency patch or look up the PCI latency issue on Via forums and see what the latest updates on it are.

Apparently it doesn't install under XP sp2, due to some security issues.

Of course if you don't have the same configuration as I did then maybe some of this might point you in the right direction for your searches..

Ewano
Ewano   2007-06-30 10:46
Hmm - lets try that again....

I seem to remember having a similar problem with a creative sound card on Via chip set mobo.

1) Creative sound cards (of the vintage SB Live 5.1, Audigy 1 and 2) have a badly implemented PCI bus master request policy. This results in the card not returning control of the PCI bus in a timely manner when using it exclusively. In other words, Creative cards were really greedy for PCI bandwidth. I don't know about more recent implementations.

2) Via chip sets of the 2003 era (KX333 and previous) also had a problem with their implementation of the PCI bus controller, whereby the time a device was allowed control of the bus for was too long. In other words it was a generous implementation. I also don't know about more recent implementations.

I wonder if any of you are using via mobos, and creative sound cards.

You might find that changing the sound card might help. If you are running win2k then you might be able to apply the PCI latency patch or look up the PCI latency issue on Via forums and see what the latest updates on it are.

Apparently it doesn't install under XP sp2, due to some security issues.

Of course if you don't have the same configuration as I did then maybe some of this might point you in the right direction for your searches..

Ewano
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual Monitors = Scratchy Sound