Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multi-monitor tips and tricks
Christian Studer   2002-03-31 00:19
Share your multi-monitor tips and tricks here.

Efficient multi-monitor browsing

Internet Explorer has a neat feature for multi-monitor users: you can drag and drop links between browser windows.

Say you want to do a web search: open two browser windows on two monitors. Run the query in one window, then simply drag/drop a search result link into the second browser window to view it.

You can also drag HTML or image files from Windows Explorer to a browser window.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
phobo   2002-04-01 01:39
I tried submitting my entry into the database but got a 500 (internal server error), so your asp script is probably having some sort of database communication problem:

Please add:

Submitted by phobo (contact me by posting on forums at www.up.org.nz) on Apr 1, 2002
Win2000, 2 monitors, 2 video cards
Genuine Intel Pentium III 500,
256 MB SDRAM SDRAM, 14 GB HDD etc.

Monitors:
(For TNT): Viewsonic E70
(For 3dfx): Hansol 710A

Make sure you put the refresh rate on both monitors to the same setting otherise a small amount of visual interference occurs.

Card 1:
AGP, Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 chipset
Standard drivers used (whatever is installed/detected by default within W2k)
Card 2:
PCI, 3dfx Voodoo2 chipset
You must use the v2-w2k-1.00.00-beta.zip driver so that your 3dfx Voodoo2 is used as a 2d standalone card, not a 3d Accelerator. Available on realtimesoft.com and up.org.nz and 3dfx.com.

Colours are slightly washed out, despite monitor and software tampering, so swapped for another monitor in the office to resolve this issue. The driver means you are limited to 1024x768 if you want 65535 colours.(recommended)
Christian Studer   2002-04-01 02:32
Thanks for the heads up, the entry has been added, see Config 3332.

Problem was that the Submitted By field was too long, and the script doesn't do length validation. Will be fixed.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Jeremy   2002-04-08 10:31
Outlook/Outlook Express tip

Have Outlook open in your secondary monitor. When you double click a message, leave it unmaximized and move it to your primary monitor. Make the window with the message in it the size you prefer to read messages in and close it.

Now double click on the message again in Outlook and it should open in the last place you closed it.

You should be able to "flip" through your messages with the up/down arrows at the top of the message window, or delete them with the delete button.

The cool thing is, in your secondary monitor where the main program resides, you can see which message you are reading!

This works extremely well when using outlook express to read message board posts.

Thats my tip.
Nite   2002-04-12 03:44
For those who would like to keep references/text/etc on their secondaries that need more height than width. check out my thread at:

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/forum/messages.asp?Topic=1354&tmpl=

it's especially for those of you who happen to have the priviledge of owning a LCD Flat Panel. Others can join me in my quest to solve the strange problem...

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web - http://mmgw.nitesade.net
Cam   2002-04-28 15:58
duel monitors in 2k aint workin for me... it says that both video cards are working properly in the device manager but when i go into the display properies there is no option for the second monitor....

any ideas?
Tony   2002-05-26 23:48
Okay, I'm running an older SS7 system with a K6-2+ 550, with Win2K SP2. My video cards are: GeForce2MX AGP and a Creative Riva TNT PCI(1). Twin View will work on the GeForce with 1 Monitor, and a TV. But as soon as I try to extend desktop to the second monitor(on the TNT1, no TV) in display properties, the mouse disapears, and the system freezes. I've tried both PCI and AGP as primary in bios, no luck. If the PCI card is primary, The Win2K boot screen will appear and sty there, while the desktop shows up on the AGP monitor. Now where in the bios do I look for the so called ACPI (what is that anyway?) and how can I deactivate it? Could it be called something else?

Thanks for any help,

Tony.
Tony   2002-05-26 23:54
Oh yeah, I'm using Detonators 28.32, I did get the setup to work in Win98SE, but never in Win2K. Tony.
Ignacio   2002-05-27 14:45
Hi.
I have
pentium 3 750, 256mb...
a sis 6.30 onboard agp card...
connected with a viewsonic e70
and a pci trident 9685 w/tv out
connected with a samsung syncmaster 3
the operative system is windows xp professional

I can't make it work

problem... code 10...
but also the problem is that the trident has old drivers...

if somebody can help
the mother is a pcchips m756lmrt+
bye

Yoma
fargo   2002-05-29 09:24
Ok got 2 monitors working sweet
got
win XP home
Celaron 700
256mb ram
AGP geforce 2mx 400 one output on Plug and play monitor
PCI 3D labs PERMEDIA2 on default monitor

it worked like an extention to the desk top, ie move mouse off one and on to the other, then i instaled ultraMon now i got second task bar and everything

no real probs it was easy
Brianinlv   2002-05-30 05:47
I have a small NOC I am setting up.
I have 9 Monitors in total-

Is there anyway to get all 9 monitors on one machine ?

-thanks

Brian
MT   2002-06-07 03:43
Been using multimonitor for a while now, Radeon 7500 and Matrox Millenium II.
Today I received (finally) the missing adapter for the Radeon that allowed me to plug my third CRT monitor in.

Then the fun began :)

Display quality from the DVI->VGA adapter output of the radeon was, frankly, shocking. I was using Omega radeon drivers, so I reverted to original drivers.
That improved quality slightly - text was at least readable. However my Radeon (an OEM Jetway card) doesnt get on well with official drivers :). On reboot, it gets stuck in a reboot loop.
Visiting Jetways site, I found a bios fix for the DVI output under win2k. I'm on XP, so I thought I'd give it a try. I also followed a guide to fully and utterly uninstall all ATI drivers.
This fixed the output issues (eventually), but somehow it nuked the fact that XP knew about my Matrox card.
So off to matrox for a driver upgrade. This enabled the display again, all screens lovely and clear, but I started getting random crashes when working in the matrox screen.
I tracked this down to the matrox powerdesk software, disabled everything, and now working fine :)

Links :
Jetway drivers and bioses
Matrox
Matrox drivers and bioses
Matrox users support
Ati
Built by ATI drivers