Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help! my comp won't recognize my agp card after installing pci!!!
Quillus   2002-04-03 07:02
Stats: TB1.4, K7S5A MB<---SiS chipset, ATI all-in-wonder 128 Pro AGP, Matrox Millenium Mystique PCI. Windows XP

So I want to dual monitor my computer and I find my old Matrox Millenium Mystique video card and figure that will work great as a secondary video card, I install it and hook up my second monitor then reboot. It was my understanding that windows should have recognized the second card along with the first card. Instead it only recognizes the PCI Matrox now. If I try uninstalling that one and rebooting it now won't recognize anything and just beeps blasphomously at me! This Matrox is not a very good primary card for the computer I have and I desperately want my ATI All-in-Wonder back. Can anyone help?

I've thought about bios upgrade?, or some IRQ problem...I don't know much about either of these options though and don't want to screw this up anymore. I've also tried changing my bios option of the primary video slot to boot but that fails as well.

Any help would be a great start, Quillus
Craig   2002-04-05 05:46
Windows 98 seeks the PCI bus for a vidio adapter first, and then the AGP. I do not know about other versions of windows.
When you install the PCI card, that will power up as the primary display. Then go to configure your display and there will be new options for dual monitor. You will have some control over what displays on which monitor, but as far as I know, you have no control over which card is the primary.
Quillus   2002-04-05 08:55
actually windows xp won't recognize my second card at all, it is no where in the device manager. The biggest problem is that I can't get back to my agp card, it simply won't start if that is the only card in my system! It just beeps a couple times but without a display I don't know why.

Christian Studer   2002-04-06 10:29
Did you try booting with the PCI card, setting the BIOS primary to AGP and then rebooting with the AGP card?

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Quillus   2002-04-06 14:48
yes christian, that's how I thought I would get my agp card back but nothing, no recognition that a video card is even in the agp slot! I wonder if the mb got screwed up? does anyone think flashing the bios might help...or shouldn't I risk it?

Bob Blunder   2002-04-10 07:05
Pardon for saying something that might be obvious, but have you gotten it to work at all? In any box?
Sounds more like a dud-card to me than anything.
jimmy   2002-04-13 05:27
I have the same mobo! you have to set in your bios the PCI as the primary video card and choose YES for allocate irq for pci.
hope that works... peace

AMD Athlon XP 1600+
ECS K7S5A Mobo
256 DDR SDRAM PC1600
2 20gig WD Harddrives
Primary: Geforce2 MX200 Twinview at 32bit
Secondary: S3 Trio 64v+ 2MB at 16bit
DVD
CD-RW
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Help! my comp won't recognize my agp card after installing pci!!!