Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Windows display properties issue
Lee   2002-04-08 14:37
It's nice that Windows allows me to set different resolutions for each of my monitors, but I still have an issue.

I am currently running a 19" and a 17". It seems that all other Display Properties apply to both monitors, versus being able to set them for each monitor.

For example, if I change the Caption Buttons size or Message Box text, it applies to both monitors--and it looks great on one, and sucks on the other.

Also, if I change the DPI setting for one monitor, it applies to both.

Any workarounds? Or, am I stuck choosing compromise settings?
Nite   2002-04-08 18:25
no workarounds, 'cause the settings you are trying to change, aren't display specific. They are relevant to windows system only. Consider this:
If you would be able to change that, what would happen to a window that you'd drag from one monitor to another?.

Sorry, but not possible... ask Bill Gates :)

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web - http://mmgw.nitesade.net
Lee   2002-04-09 16:43
Display settings certainly *should be* display specific. Just because it's not a native Windows feature does not mean it's not possible.

Perfect example: With Windows, pointing device settings apply across the board--not to each of my several pointing devices. However, with Logitech's MouseWare, my pointer speed, button functions, etc. are specific to each pointing device.

Now if only Logitech would start making monitors. :]
Nite   2002-04-09 21:50
heh :)

if only display adapters were just as simple as mice... :)

a pointing device is just that, a separate device. but window settings apply _desktop_ not any one adapter. if it would be possible to assign entirely separate _desktops_ to each adapter, then the scheme would be possible, but with the current system, unfortunatly, it's not.

Lee   2002-04-10 06:06
I already understood what you were saying the first time. :] My reply is the same. Device manager recognizes that I have multiple independed devices for my display adapters, monitors, and pointing devices. Windows can and should treat them this way.
Nite   2002-04-10 09:49
Windows _can't_, but it should. Windows can't handle them differently, 'cause it is not, infact, handling them at all, _they_ are handling _it_. Windows "draws" the desktop and windowing systems according to configuration, and then displays it thru the adapters. Each adapter works as a "window" to watch thru to the desktop. Consider this: You're sitting by a (normal) window, watching a dog playing outside. Now, if you walk to a different window, the dog ain't gonna change to a cow. (hopefully :).

But, there's a point in your idea. What if it indeed worked like that? That sure as h*ll would be very nice feature indeed!

But, it's Windows(R), Where #define bug = feature; :D

Lee   2002-04-11 01:45
Thanks for the insight and the wit (I do speak C++). :] I needed the laugh.

As you can tell, I don't know much about how Windows mis-handles display adapters; but, I will find out in the coming week or so.

It really sucks to have to run compromise settings.

The multiple monitor capability of Windows was obviously not given enough attention in the "design" phase, if there even was one. It seems more like an afterthought. Overall, there's a whole lot that I like about Windows, and I'm happy for any multiple monitor support. However, now that MS has given it to me, I expect it work well, not to just work. :]
Nite   2002-04-11 03:21
Ugh. You speak well. :)
I think the multi-monitor support on Windows-platforms is still at the first steps of development. After all, Win98 was the first windows to handle multiple display adapters natively. It's been only 4 years since that... I sincerely hope we can expect much more of that aspect from the upcoming windows version. (perhaps not the next, but after that...) There hasn't really been any point of having multiple monitors before, but now it seems that more and more people opt to have the extra space.

Let's hope that we'll get more features. (fullscreen DVD on secondary should be one of the first to do...)

Your idea of having the display adapters truly separate "entities" is an interesting one, let's hope that someone up the MS-ToD (Tree of Development) realizes that :)

Lee   2002-04-11 18:28
It's been good volleying with you.

I guess most of my gripes would be solved by my running identically-spec monitors on identically-spec display adapters.

I may just do that, since it will be a while, before I can expect my OS to handle my displays as I require with my present hardware.

I will submit my thoughts to MS Wish, though.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Windows display properties issue