Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Upgraded trouble (nVIDIA to nVIDIA).
Bob Blunder   2002-04-09 04:07
Config:
Amptron mobo /w VIA chipset, 800 duron, 256RAM.
AGP: eVGA nVidia GeForce 64 MX400
PCI: S3 Trio 32/63 (older than daylight)

I had a Powercolor Sniper nVidia 16mb AGP card previously, and it worked fine with my S3 PCI card. Had the S3 set to primary in BIOS and the Sniper set to take over as primary in XP. After changing out my Sniper card for my new GeForce2 card it is impossible to get them both to run at the same time. The card that is set as primary in the BIOS works fine, but the other card returns a Code 10 error (Device not started) in windows.

Mobo BIOS flashed less than 2 months ago.

Any suggestions?

Bob
Andrew   2002-05-07 14:38
I have the S3 Trio 32/64 as well and i am getting a code 10 error also when i try to use it with my GeForce 2 Mx 400. What is a Code 10 error? Mine says the device cannot start. i just got new drivers but they dont work. I will try booting with just the S3 and see if that works
Nite   2002-05-07 17:38
"Code 10" is windows 2k/XP reporting that the device in question refused to start working. This is die to the fact that 2k/XP DOES NOT send the initial VGAINIT signal to secondary cards.

Also, some versions of Trio64 (S/32/M32 etc. don't remember the exact details) do not work as secodary in 2k/XP, no matter what one does.

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
Edd   2002-05-09 08:21
Just thought i would add to the list of people that couldnt get an S3 trio32/64 card to work along side an nvida chipset card (riva tnt2) - as you may have guessed, code 10 on the s3 card.

-Edd

(p.s - that was with win xp)
Fargis   2002-05-10 00:17
Here are some more additions to the list. I remember having no success whatsoever with the following combinations:

Diamond Viper V770U + Diamond Stealth 64
GeForce256 DDR + Diamond Stealth 64

Some points to try getting your cards working if you haven't already:
1. Assuming you are using Windows, i could suggest trying another version. For example, 98 as opposed to 2000, or vice versa.
2. Check you have latest drivers for each card. 3. Try to remove both cards from [Windows], shut down, disconnect S3 from mobo (leave GF2 plugged in), boot up & let [Windows] redetect the GF2. Shut down again, put S3 back in, and boot up once more.
4. Check for IRQ/DMA conflicts.
5. Try another PCI slot.

Just a few to start with. I only mention this because the S3 did work with your previous card, which was nVidia. So there may be a slim chance of it working with the new nVidia card too.

F.
shokx   2002-05-10 10:37
Trio32/64 have to be the primary card. I cant tell you why, but this is always the case.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Upgraded trouble (nVIDIA to nVIDIA).