Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Matrox MGA Millennium PCI Semi-incompatability
bernie minim   2002-04-09 08:53
I am running Windows ME on a 1200 mHz Athlon with a SiS 305 AGP 16 mB card installed, and added a Matrox MGA Millennium 4 meg PCI card to slot 2. The system runs fine, and I love it, except the PCI loads first. I have reset the BIOS to load the AGP first, and then I am back to one monitor. (I have also tried slot 3 for the PCI.) I get a message that the Matrox card does not support dual monitors. (I guess it wants to be in charge.) I tried a driver update from a users site, and Windows says there is nothing better in the pot. The Matrox site lists a Millennium card (not "MGA Millennium") and says the current driver is in the OS.
In order to run my current game (Empire Earth) I have to remove the PCI card. (I suppose I could reset the BIOS each time.) What a pain.
Questions - Am I out of luck with this PCI card? No big deal as I bought it used and have a couple more days to return it in trade. But what should I replace it with?
Nite   2002-04-09 21:52
you're, unfortunatly, out of luck with that card. either you have to get a PCI-card that do not require VGA-init on startup (for example, almost all GeForceMX-cards) or you have to get an operating system that supports swapping of device IDs (win2k/xp, for example)

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web - http://mmgw.nitesade.net
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Matrox MGA Millennium PCI Semi-incompatability