Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ICC profiles
Stefan   2002-04-14 03:56
I have a Geforce 4 and it`s impossible to install different ICC profiles for the two monitors.As soon as I apply a profile to one monitor,it`s also applied to the other one.It worked with the Radeon 8500 (at least with the driver from CD,newer driver also behaved like my GF 4),that I had before,but I had to give it back,because of flickering on the secondary monitor.
I`m using WinXP.
Can anyone help?
Stefan
Nite   2002-04-14 06:54
Just curious - Do ICC profiles really make any difference? I've never used them, only tried once and didn't notice absolutely anything?

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web - http://mmgw.nitesade.net
Stefan   2002-04-14 08:35
Only a calibrated and profiled monitor will reproduce a picture the way it is supposed to look.I do this procedure with a measurement device.This way,pictures look identical on different monitors.If you then calibrate your printer,you can get a 95% accurate screen to print match.But don`t use canned profiles,what you probably did.Some of them MAY help for a printer,but never for a monitor.
Stefan
Stefan   2002-04-14 09:01
Nite,
just forgot to tell you,that you will only see the effect of ICC profiles in ICC compliant application like Photoshop etc.The windows desktop,for example,doesn`t use them.I work as a photographer.Work without ICC profiles for monitor,workspace,printer,press etc. would get you in trouble.
Stefan
Nite   2002-04-14 18:33
ahA!. so _that's_ why I didn't notice anything... :) Well, I work (well, play) with Photoshop quite a lot too. Maybe I should give them another go... sorry that I can't help, since I don't even have a dualhead card... but what I remember, I had a almost-similiar problem with the profiles too. I could only assign an ICC profile for the primary monitor. Tho I suspect it's my thousand-year-old ATI Graphics Pro's fault, it could be WinXP (Pro). I'll look into it further.

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web - http://mmgw.nitesade.net
Stefan   2002-04-14 20:26
Nite,if you use Photoshop,make your own profile using the Adobe gamma tool,that comes with Photoshop.Forget any profiles,that came with your monitor.If the profile is installed in display properties in windows,Photoshop will use it automatically.Adobe gamma is not as good as a profile you get using a measurement device,but it`s MUCH better than using no profile.
Stefan
RodM   2002-04-15 08:18
ummmm the icc profiles loaded in your display properties do indeed work in the desktop on the web and everywhere else!not just in certain apps...if your not seeing "any" difference something is wrong.

i find the adobe gamma loader that ships with photoshop the best tool to build a profile for your monitor,it's probably not dead on accurate but it certainly will improve things,and it's quite noticeable.

things that can mess you up and things to remember...the adobe app will calibrate whichever monitor it is curently displayed on,if you want to do a profile for your second monitor,move the app there,or you'll just mess up your primary screen...i've found that the color correction tabs that you'll find with most vid card drivers in the display properties will overide any profiles you have loaded and give you default values just by clicking on the tab!you'll have to restart to fix this...you may also have to restart to load a new profile,the profiles load at startup you can watch it happen!the desktop comes up and just as things are almost done setting up,your screen will "pop" to it's proper settings according to the profile you have specified it to use
Stefan   2002-04-16 09:31
Rod,you`re mixing up calibration and ICC profiles.Calibration is a process,that adresses the video lockup-table of your graphics card.It just changes the gamma of your card.This process will take effect,if you start your computer and your screen pops.At this moment the gamma is getting changed.This has nothing to do with an ICC profile so far.The monitor is just set via graphics card to a known standard.On basis of that standard,the ICC profile is created(already within adobe gamma procedure).But the profile is not used on your desktop,only the calibration is taking effekt.That`s the "pop".The profile is only used in an ICC compliant application.
Stefan
Stefan   2002-04-16 09:35
You can test this by deinstalling your profile,while looking at your desktop.Nothing will change!Do the same thing during watching a picture in Photoshop and you will see the effect!But my original problem is,that I am not able to install different ICC profiles for each monitor on my dual output nvidia card.
Stefan
Stefan   2002-04-17 06:40
Anyone here,who has two different ICC profiles installed on a dual head card under WinXP?
Come on guys,let me know!
Stefan
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ICC profiles