Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Will a card with DVI-I run an analog non-flat screen Monitor? I need to run two Samsung Syncmaster 17Gli monitors off one card...One on the VGA plug and hopefully the other on DVI-I. Will it WORK?
akalai   2002-04-19 11:21
Yeah hi there....

Will an AGP card with DVI-I run an analog non-flat screen Monitor? I need to run two Samsung Syncmaster 17Gli monitors off one card...One on the VGA plug and hopefully the other on DVI-I. Will it WORK?

I have an AMD proccessor, ASUS A7V-133 motherboard, VIA chipset.

Any suggestions to card or any other hint or tips will be well received!

akalaiakalai@hotmail.com
akalai   2002-04-21 00:23
Ahh...is anyone currently running two analog monitors off a Visiontek Xtasy Geforce4 Ti4400 with DVI-I???

I just want to know before I purchase one of these cards if it will infact run two Monitors of the one card at the same time.....any help would be great CHEERS!

akalaiakalai@hotmail.com
akalai   2002-04-21 15:02
I just posted a link to a page that describes the different forms of DVI connections along with a corresponding picture.

here it is again:

http://store.kayye.com/kayye/dviaccessories.html

Also any confirmations of people running two analog monitors off a Visiontek Xtasy Ti4400 would be very useful! Cheers, hope it helps!

akalaiakalai@hotmail.com
A. Viguera   2002-04-21 15:37

I just replied to your email, but I'm not running the same card.

The card that I have (VisionTek GF4 Ti-4600) comes with DVI-I. With the adapter that I purchased, my Samsung SyncMaster 760V (2) work just fine.

The adapter was actually $6 now that I look at the order, and it was from mwave.com. The SKU for it is A14935 (ATI DVI/MALE TO VGA/FEMALE ADAPTER).
JoeT   2002-04-22 04:32
Just incase.

For anyone thinking of doing the same. Make sure you contact your hardware vendor and ask for confermation first.

For example. I received an email from visiontek themselves saying that they do not support dvi-vga adapters on the second port. After reading some of the other messages it sounds like they have manufactured some cards with dvi-i plugs and other with dvi-d connector.s Regardless if you get one and it doesn't come with the dvi-i plug on the card you don't really have a choice but to take it or pay a restocking fee.

Very few cards right now (geforce 4) support dual vga through the use of an adapter. This isn't to say they won't just that if you don't check first you may be outta luck.

Both Abit and Gainward made small mention of supporting dvi-i to vga. Check their websites for more info.

Joe.
the Wonda   2002-04-23 08:52
there is a very good article on anandtechs website all about the dvi interface. what I got out of it is that if you have a dvi-i interface analog is built into the crosshairs part of the connector. the dvi-d connector just is missing the crosshairs. so if you have dvi-i which most of the videocards do, you can use a converter.

article: http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1577
JoeT   2002-04-30 12:04
For anyone thats interested in this I just received an email from Gainward usa stating that their 700XP (the Ti4400) comes with a dvi-vga adapter in the box and supports dual crt's out of package.

This one is also nice because it has vivo which most of the 4400's dont. Usually a feature on the 4600 series.

www.gainward.com for more info.

Joe.
JoeT   2002-05-07 06:00
Further confirmation.

I'm now running a Gainward 700xp that did indeed come with a dvi-vga adapter with it. Runs like a charm.

Box also includes Mpeg-2 encoding software and DVD playback software.

Joe.
kevh   2002-05-23 06:19
just hooked up a Microtek 15" flat panel (using a 3rd party adapter-dunno why it had a vga plug) to the dvi-i port of the leadtek winfast version of the geforce4 4400-works great. now if i could just get opengl games to run fullscreen on the primary monitor (winme).
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Will a card with DVI-I run an analog non-flat screen Monitor? I need to run two Samsung Syncmaster 17Gli monitors off one card...One on the VGA plug and hopefully the other on DVI-I. Will it WORK?