Forums -> Multiple monitors -> help needed -- my perilous multi-mon adventure
Kevin   2002-04-25 05:20
Hi,

Let me start by saying that I've been a a Mac user for over ten years, and for the past eight years I've used multimonitor Mac setups with absolutely no problems both at home and at work. As part of my "ultimate media room" project, however (you'll see what I mean when I post pictures -- as soon as I get it all working), I bought an Athlon 1 ghz machine. I've been getting into Combat Flight Sim a lot, and I wanted to try out using mutlple monitors. So far, the road has been rough.

Here are my current system specs:
Athlon 1 gigahertz
384 megs ram
40 gig and 80 gig drives @ 7200 rpm
Cable modem
Sound Blaster Live!
Firewire card
Original graphics card : AGP GeForce 2mx 400 powering 19" monitor and a 55" Mitsubishi HDTV thru S-Video
Two new graphics cards: PCI VisionTek GeForce 2mx 200; both powering 15" monitors to the left and right of the primary

I've had Twin View working earlier to power my TV. That worked fine. I then installed the two new cards, and the problems began. At first the computer did not recognize the cards. I finally figured out that despite what I had read on the net, all three cards needed to be in the first three slots. Everything then initialized fine, and I could surf the web, etc; but when I tried to open any 3d game, the system would crash. I therefore downloaded the latest drivers from VisionTek's site. No dice. I thought maybe disabling the secondaries before loading the game would help, so I installed UltraMon 2.0. The crashing then got a lot worse. There is no unistall for UltraMon, so I followed the directions listed on this forum to delete all the associated files, then I did another clean install of the latest drivers from nVidia.

The secondary monitors now initialize fine (meaning I see the white on black text during startup saying they're initialized), but every time I click on the setting tab within Display properties to activate the secondary displays, I get an error message saying that RUNDLL.exe (or something like that) has caused an error and the machine crashes.

SO -- Has anyone seen this error before? Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? I'm really eager to get everything up and running, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Kevin
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> help needed -- my perilous multi-mon adventure