Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Quake III-Games make secondary monitor grey (Win XP)
DiCon   2002-04-27 21:22
When running Jedi Knight II (or any other game based on the Quake III-Engine) on my Win XP Pro-System, my secondary monitor only shows different shades of grey and the only way to make it work with colors again is to reboot my system. This is really annoying.

My primary monitor is plugged in a ELSA Gladiac 921 DVI with a GeForce 3 Ti500 chip and the secondary one is plugged in a ASUS 3DexPlorer with a Riva 128 chip.
Does anybody know a solution for this problem or at least knows a way to make my secondary monitor work without rebooting?
Mike Lewis   2002-04-28 03:16
hey,

I had the same(ish) problem with my setup, i'm running a gf4 ti4600 though. the only suggestion i have for you is:

open up the JK2config(or similar).cfg file and look for "ignorehwgamma". set this to "0". that might help. if not have a look through the config file and see if anything else looks useful. cheers

mike lewis
DiCon   2002-04-28 03:30
I tried a few settings, but nothing worked...
Further suggestions?
Nite   2002-04-28 04:29
strange. I'm using ELSA's Gladiac Ultra (GF2 Ultra chipset) and an ATI Mach64 GX for secondary and I've not seen any problems while playing JK2. I can even alt-tab switch to a program running on that secondary, use that awhile and return to JK2, without any problems.

WinXP Pro
GF2 is using Detonator 28.32
ATI with XP default drivers.

(might be related: I can't use the in-game gamma/brightness slider at all. all I get is "SetDeviceGammaRamp Failed")

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
DiCon   2002-04-28 04:51
Really strange...
But perhaps it IS the ignorehwgamma option. I'd guess yours is set to "1" and so JK2 ignores the gamma. But I will check this tomorrow, because my secondary monitor is already grey and I don't want to reboot again. (Here in Germany it's 19:53 and I'll shut off my PC in a few minutes...)
DiCon   2002-04-30 00:35
OK - you were right: If I set hwignoregamma to "1", my secondary monitor doesn't change its colors. But then the game is too dark -> So I think I'll stand the reboot, to play JK2 not only at nights :)
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Quake III-Games make secondary monitor grey (Win XP)