Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3rd video card "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
Santino   2002-05-02 08:59
my current setup is as follows:

primary card/moniter: voodoo 3 2000/samsung 950P
secondary card/moniter:onboard Intel/Samsung753df

now my problem is with my ati all in wonder card(not the new one its about a year and a half old or so)
i installed the latest drivers for the ati card but i get this error:
"This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
please someone help ive searched high and low with no solutions yet
thank you for anyone who helps me out
ciao
Nite   2002-05-02 17:06
It helps if you could post more system info, but I'm assuming that you have either WinXP or Win2000 and the ATI card is a PCI. If this is the case, and you already have set PCI as primary in the BIOS, there's nothing you can do. For some reason NT-based windowses do not support multiple "old" adapters (those that need the VGA-INIT signal in order to start). Either go back to Win98, or start looking for a different adapter... I _know_. I've tested 5 cards in about a month and still haven't found one that'd work as a 3rd adapter in XP.

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
Santino   2002-05-02 19:34
sorry bout that
ya all cards are pci, and im using xp
so theres no way at all to get that third card working?
Nite   2002-05-02 19:57
I'm not _really_ sure, but I think not. There's only a bunch of "old" PCI cards that support operation without VGAINIT. Mainly Matrox cards. Look thru the database, there are pretty many setups with an ATI card, if you see one with that particular card, see if there are any notes and/or mail the owner and ask him/her how that works.

If you find a way to get old cards working in XP as a third one... PLEASE tell us here! :)

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
David   2004-01-23 04:04
as a last thing u could always try to swap the problem card into the master pci slot(slot 1) and see if that works, but its a long shot
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3rd video card "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"