Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ATI Wonder Radeon teamed with ...?
Frank   2002-05-06 07:00
I'm running WinXP with the ATI AGP All-in-Wonder Radeon video card. That's running one monitor. I'm using ATI PCI Expert 98 for the other monitor. If I boot up with AGP first I don't get the second monitor. If I boot up with PCI first I get the second monitor okay, but not AIW's great video features. Does anyone know of a PCI video card that will work with the AGP AIW Radeon and allow all features as well as dual monitor?

Frank
widefault   2002-05-06 13:12
I use a Matrox G200, works great with the AIW series. They are a bit tough to find, though. I've also used Millennium I and II's, and while they're good second cards they don't play nice with the tuner and video features. To get the tuner to work I had to disable the 2nd screen, start the TV app, then enable the 2nd screen. Not an ideal solution.

www.widefault.com/lcd
DJRobX   2002-05-17 04:10
I have a lot of experience using my beloved ATI AIW cards (I've had a AIW PRO, AIW 128, and now an AIW Radeon) along with secondary adapters.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER pair it with another ATI card. Over the years I've tried many dual ATI card configurations (same chipset or different chipset). They CAN work, but it's a lot of heartache and pain. I had SO many problems with same-name driver DLLs. Or, the drivers will lock up when they try to identify the card (go to the Information tab in the device manager, or try to run the Setup on a driver installation package). Or the secondary card fails to hold refresh rates. Not worth it. Support won't help you with these issues (I've been writing to them about these issues for *YEARS* and I kept hoping they'd resolve it with either new hardware or new software and the same tired issues have survived from Windows 98 all the way through XP). Never again!

I tried using a PCI Inno3d MX400 as a secondary card on my VIA motherboard. Didn't work well at all. Lots of system freeze ups. Replaced it with a Matrox G450, and the two seem to play together wonderfully and solidly.

So it looks like that's two recommendations for Matrox adapters as a secondary to an ATI AIW series card.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ATI Wonder Radeon teamed with ...?