Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Performance degradation
Chris Merlo   2002-05-14 14:24
I had an "expert" tell me one time If you use multiple monitors with two cards (AGP/PCI) that you end up sharing the "bandwith" between the monitors. This will then slow down the monitor on the AGP board. Any truth to this? I understand that the computer's processor is producing two images so the overall system performance will probably suffer. Can anybody tell me percentage wise, How much?
Nite   2002-05-14 18:17
some "expert" you know ;) to tell the truth, for current processors the task of send a single bitmap (desktop) to a display adapter isn't such a big deal. And since there is physically two adapters, they don't share any bandwidth, how could they even? The SLI mode was for Voodoo2 cards ;)

seriously, I have run multiple monitors on a 100MHz 486 and even then there is almost no overall performance drop. With my 1000MHz P3 and Win98, I ran 4 monitors (AGP was GF2Ultra) and only performance drop is when you drag a window between two monitors. When it's completely on one, everything runs fine, iot's only the transiition that "slows" down. (yeah, it takes half a second more time at best)

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Performance degradation