Forums -> UltraMon™ -> 2nd Toolbar On top but other windows don't honor it
brassardn   2013-11-20 07:11
Just recently, whenever I maximize something on my 2nd monitor it no longer maximizes with respect to the toolbar. It now acts as if the toolbar is not there.

What I mean for example is that if I click the maximize window button on Google Chrome, the window maximizes to the full window height instead of docking above the toolbar. My toolbar is still on top but the browser now hides behind it..making things like scroll bars impossible to get to without shrinking the browser or hiding the toolbar.

My 2nd monitor toolbar settings are:
Position: bottom
Always on top: yes
Auto-Hide: no
Locked: yes
Christian Studer   2013-11-20 13:34
Does this happen after a system restart as well? If yes, please try if restarting UltraMon manually fixes the issue, you can close it via UltraMon menu > Close, then restart it via the shortcut under Start Menu > Programs.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Brad   2013-12-10 06:05
I have been having the same issue for months. Contacted support and the suggestions to try delaying the startup did not fix anything.

If I close ULTRAMON and restart it, the issue will go aways for awhile during the session but will return at some point. I also found that if I run on AUTOHIDE and then turn it off, the 2nd monitors' taskbar will once again be "respected" by the other applications (they even automatically adjust if they were full screen.) But again, the issue may return - even during during the session. (I have not pinned down what triggers things to start sliding on under.)

Brad
Christian Studer   2013-12-10 14:25
Delaying UltraMon startup might help if you have the issue immediately after starting the system, but I guess that's not the case and you only have the problem occasionally?

Cory   2014-01-10 13:41
This doesn't happen to me on startup, but it does start happening after explorer.exe crashes.

Once in a while when a folder hangs or something, either Windows or I terminate explorer.exe to get things going again. It's after this that the behavior is observable and a quick restart of UltraMon puts things back in order.

It would be nice if UltraMon could somehow detect this and reinitialize itself when explorer.exe does.
Christian Studer   2014-01-11 12:33
Cory, which version of UltraMon and Windows are you using? So far I haven't seen this when terminating explorer.exe then restarting it, testing was done on 64-bit Windows 7 with UltraMon 3.2.2.

Cory   2014-01-12 09:33
Hi Christian,

I'm using an HP ProBook laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) and UltraMon 3.2.2. I use the SmartTaskbar on a 2nd monitor, and this has been happening on my system ever since I installed. It's not a big deal, it really open happens once or twice a month, but it's the only bug? I've ever noticed.

One thing may be worth noting: I'm using patched uxtheme DLLs, and it's been that way for a couple of years. Other than that there's nothing really out of the ordinary about my configuration.
Christian Studer   2014-01-12 14:12
I haven't tested with a patched uxtheme DLL, but don't think that this would cause the issue. Maybe it's related to your specific display configuration, could you post the system information from UltraMon menu > About?

Tom   2014-01-12 15:44
I often face this issue too. I'm not sure when/how it occurs but I will try keep and eye out and post back if I can identify the apparent cause.

Restarting the software does certainly fix the issue.
Cory   2014-01-13 05:24
2 monitors
Current desktop: 3520x1080 (0,0 - 3520,1080)

Monitor 1 - DELL P2312H (primary):
Settings: 1920x1080, 32-bit color, 60 Hz refresh rate
Coordinates: 0,0 - 1920,1080. Workspace: 0,0 - 1920,1040
Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
Device: \\.\DISPLAY2\Monitor0

Monitor 2 - Generic PnP Monitor:
Settings: 1600x900, 32-bit color, 60 Hz refresh rate
Coordinates: 1920,150 - 3520,1050. Workspace: 1920,150 - 3520,1010
Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
Device: \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0

I'd be happy to test out any potential fixes/beta builds/etc. if you need a tester. I'm a software engineer myself so if you need extra debugging or tracing done I might be able to help (just send me an e-mail).
Cory   2014-01-13 13:26
This is a follow up to my first post with the system information. The issue discussed in this thread became apparent today without explorer crashing. I couldn't tell you what did it, but the system information, specifically the coordinates, changed:

2 monitors Current desktop: 3520x1080 (0,0 - 3520,1080) Monitor 1 - DELL P2312H (primary): Settings: 1920x1080, 32-bit color, 60 Hz refresh rate Coordinates: 0,0 - 1920,1080. Workspace: 0,0 - 1920,1040 Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series Device: \\.\DISPLAY2\Monitor0 Monitor 2 - Generic PnP Monitor: Settings: 1600x900, 32-bit color, 60 Hz refresh rate Coordinates: 1920,150 - 3520,1050. Workspace: 1920,150 - 3520,1050 Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series Device: \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0

Note that the last coordinate changed from 1010 to 1050.
Christian Studer   2014-01-13 14:58
Workspace coordinates being the same as the screen coordinates means that no space is reserved for the taskbar, so applications maximize to the full screen area instead of only the area above the taskbar.

UltraMon changes the workspace area if you change the Always on Top setting for the taskbar, or if the display configuration changes. Do you have any other applications installed which might interfere with this, for example another application which adds toolbars to the desktop?

Cory   2014-01-14 06:31
Hi Christian,

I can't find an "Always on Top" feature for the taskbar in Windows 7 or in UltraMon.

The only other thing I have that manipulates the screen is StandaloneStacks. If you're unfamiliar, it's an app that builds shortcuts to itself that get pinned to the taskbar. When you click one, it draws a stack of files/folders you configured that shortcut to show.

http://www.chrisnsoft.com/standalonestack
Cory   2014-01-14 06:57
Christian,

The SmartTaskbar's Always on Top option is set to "Same as Main Taskbar". Would it be worth trying if the this and the Locked setting were set independently of the main taskbar?

One other random discovery... I have these entries in my event log every few days:

"Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: UltraMon. Product Version: 3.2.2. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Realtime Soft Ltd. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0."

They don't seem to coincide with anything we've been discussing though.
Christian Studer   2014-01-14 13:13
I doubt that the issue is caused by StandaloneStacks, if you're interested I could create a test version of UltraMonTaskbar.exe which logs workspace area changes, this should help determine if the issue is with UltraMon or not. Contact me by e-mail at support@realtimesoft.com if you would like to do this.

Regarding the Windows Installer log entries: not sure what this is, but it's certainly not related to the issue you're seeing.

Wolfium   2017-06-29 08:06
I suffer same issue and it is random time when it appears.

I use a simple workaround that helps me a lot without restart UltraMon.

I just change always on top to true from right menu setting on monitor that append and right aways I change it back to same as main bar.

Slick and pretty fast fix for weird behavior.

Hope this helps others.
Forums -> UltraMon™ -> 2nd Toolbar On top but other windows don't honor it