Forums -> Multiple monitors -> GeForce2 MX400+S3 Trio 64V+
David   2002-05-21 08:07
Ok, should have written this yesterday but I Was having too much fuhn playin gwith my monitors instead. :p

Unfortunately I was only able to get an S3 Trio 64v+ video card at the local junk shop, they sold the TNT they had couple of days ago, darnit.

Anyways, things have gone fairly flawlessly. Except that in gaming I have to disable the second monitor to get OGL to start. But UltraMon's profiling system makes that simple as pie. One click, I'm gaming, one click I have double the desktp space.

Unfortunately now its been brought to my attention that my old monitor here that I've been using as primary is dying. Whites are greys, etc.. I never nticed it until now, sitting next to this other monitor which has good colours. Unless this is some interfearence or something that they could be causing? Though I doubt it.. this monitor is going on 4-5 years old, having been running nearly 24/7 since the day I got it. Time for a new one.

Otherwise all has worked well. Image reproduction on the S3 is as nice as it is on my GF2. Maybe I'm lucky and got a good S3? Heh.

Some gripes that I have though are these;
Can't play DVD over two monitors.
OpenGL Gaming performance seems seriously hit with the additon of a second video card (someone familier witht hi and know how to fix it?) Dropping me from 100fps and above, down to a limitred 60, but never higher.

Well, thats fun. Gonna go play around now. :)

-David

The *new* Direwolf is:
XP 1900+
Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu
EP-8KHA+
256megs of Micron PC2100
GeForce2 MX400
Trident Trio 64V+
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
Maxtor 30Gig 7200RPM UATA100
Mitsumi 4x4x24 CDR/W
Hitachi 8x32 DVDROM
Windows98 SE/W2K dual boot.
Wayne   2002-05-21 17:57
David,
I have the Geforce 2 MX400 with TV out. I have been trying for days to get a second monitor to show up in the properties box.The second card is an Avance ALG2301b PCI card with 2 MB memory. Could advise me how I can get WIN ME to miss the TV out and go to the PCI VGA card???
David   2002-05-21 21:53
Well, running 98se I'm not familier with ME, but the basics should be the same. All I did was download the latest drivers (which for this S3 was back in 98. heh.) Shutdown, installed the card, booted back up and windows installed the driver. Then all I had to do was go to teh display properties and it *should* already show the second (or sometimes third, GF cards seem to have a phantom third monitor, prolly because of the twinview technology). Just click on it and enable it. And thats nearly all I did. Tweaked the refresh rates to minimize interfearence as much as possible.

But otherwise, I'm not sure. I'm new to dual/multiple monitors, myself. I'm sure you've already gone through these steps, however. I run Unofficial Detonator 27.70's currently (though I'm going to upgrade to the new unofficial 29.41's later today)

If I helped at all, I'm glad. If not, I'm sorry that I couldn't. From everything that I have read, personaly, running multiple monitors using different brand cards is a hit-and-miss thing. Even same-brand cards can be tricky.

Good luck!

-David

The *new* Direwolf is:
XP 1900+
Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu
EP-8KHA+
256megs of Micron PC2100
GeForce2 MX400
Trident Trio 64V+
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
Mitsumi 4x4x24 CDR/W
Hitachi 8x32 DVDROM
Windows98 SE/W2K dual boot.
David   2002-05-21 22:03
I should have looked at the compatability Database before I answered, but, I'm tired. My bad. I'm not even seeing the chipset you submitted, so I'm thinking that either noone has ever tried using one. Or just hasn't logged it.

As someone else said here in the forum; some chipsets just aren't multi-monitor capable.
My suggestion is to look for a cheap card around your local stores and then look on the compatability list for results/problems that anyone has documented. nVidia, Matrox, S3 and ATi seem to be the most popular and well known. But I'd check the Database first just so you aren't throwing money away, even if it is just a few bucks.

Once more, good luck. :)

-David

The *new* Direwolf is:
XP 1900+
Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu
EP-8KHA+
256megs of Micron PC2100
GeForce2 MX400
Trident Trio 64V+
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
Mitsumi 4x4x24 CDR/W