Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Geforce3 cards with 1 CRT, 1 DVI. - My two cents for people trying this.
David   2002-05-27 10:54
I felt the need to post this because I've seen people with GF3 cards trying to use both teh CRT, and the DVI output at once. This, unfortunately, is not possible..

Quote from [H]ardOCP:
"nView is a new feature on the GeForce4 MX and Ti series from NVIDIA. The GeForce3 did not support nView. In order to drive two independent monitors on the same video card you need to have two RAMDACs on the video card itself. The GeForce3 only had one, so even if you had a VGA port and a DVI port and got hold of a DVI to VGA adapter you still could not run dual VGA monitor from one card. ATI has had dual monitor support in their Radeon 8500 and even 7500 now for a long while that they refer to as "HYDRA". NVIDIA has finally come to the plate with full dual monitor support in their NV17 and NV25 cores. Short and sweet, a RAMDAC is a microchip which converts the digital signal that the video card natively outputs into the VGA analog signal a CRT monitor natively runs at. This conversion process is needed so you can see the data from the video card on your analog monitor."

This should fairly clear up the confusion of it all when people come to try and use both their CRT and DVI outputs at the same time.

As for me, I'm saving for a Gainward card. Ti4600 I think is teh one I'll get. Dual DVI (DVI-CRT adaptors). Should be a sweet gaming system. :D

Hope it helped.
David

The *new* Direwolf is:
XP 1900+
Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu
EP-8KHA+
256megs of Micron PC2100
GeForce2 MX400
Trident Trio 64V+
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
Maxtor 30Gig 7200RPM UATA100
Mitsumi 4x4x24 CDR/W
Hitachi 8x32 DVDROM
Windows98 SE/W2K dual boot.
David   2002-05-27 10:57
I guess I should have kept reading to prevent add-ons to this post. Oh well..

You can in fact use both the CRT and DVI connector, but not for dual CRT's. You can use a CRT and an LCD together. But not two CRT's.

David

The *new* Direwolf is:
XP 1900+
Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu
EP-8KHA+
256megs of Micron PC2100
GeForce2 MX400
Trident Trio 64V+
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
Maxtor 30Gig 7200RPM UATA100
Mitsumi 4x4x24 CDR/W
Hitachi 8x32 DVDROM
Windows98 SE/W2K dual boot.
peterp   2003-04-10 03:46
Well I still have problems connecting DVI and VGA, with one analog display and one new digital on it.
For whatever reason (RAM-DAC,digital-analog-converter should therefore be not the problem) it doesnt work.
Tried nearly everything except moving to XP.

Any clues ?

R.
simon   2003-04-20 00:59
i got win xp. but it doesn't work with two monitors connected to the geforce 3.
one crt and one lcd...
Chewbacca   2003-04-23 00:19
The GF 3s DO NOT SUPPORT Dual/multi monitor, etc!!! You can combine a GF3 with a PCI card.

Chewie.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Geforce3 cards with 1 CRT, 1 DVI. - My two cents for people trying this.