Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multiple monitors causing K7S5A chipset to overheat ?
gameboss   2002-06-16 10:32
Here's the set up:
(I'm running 5 monitors)
K7S5A Mobo
1.33 Tbird
2x 128mb PC133 Crucial mem
Enermax Dualfan 350W PS
Maxtor G550 Dualhead AGP
3 Nvidia Vanta PCI Cards
WD 20G HD

If I run a 133 FSB then the computer freezes when the Tbird reaches around 49c. Up until that point it's ok.
If I run a 100 FSB then no problems. I can run a graphic intensive game and the Tbird reaches up to 52c.
System temps are around 34c. I'm running front and back 80mm fans along with the dualfan enermax.
Regarless of my cooling, it can't be the cpu since it runs fine at the 100 FSB setting.
Oh...it get more complicated..lol.
If I pull out two of the Nvidia Vantas(so I'm running the Maxtor and one vanta--3 monitors) I can then run the 133 FSB.
Are these cards overloading the chipset?

Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Arghhhhh...time is runnning out
kuglvinkl   2002-06-16 12:31
Try to add some cooling to your SIS chipset by mounting HSF (crystal Orb from Thermaltake). + do you have any extra 80mm fans mounted in yor case (front and back)?

And, perhaps you should buy PSU with more power (450W)
lurqa_mu   2002-06-23 07:51
I take it that the problem occours when you run your memory bus at 133MHz?

If this is the case, you memory could be bad or the PSU is delivering too little juice on the 2.5v or 3.3v line to drive it at that speed.

Regards,
lurqa
Dennis   2002-06-28 05:21
I think that its probably a power supply problem.
The board u have is very choosy about the power supply. For more info go to ocworkbench BBS and look up the psu faq in the ECS forum

http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=37
Cheers Dennis
Tony   2002-07-01 09:54
Hey Gameboss,

I posted this over at AMDZONE.com:

I'm pretty sure, that I've read your post over at www.realtimesoft.com If that wasn't you, try going over there, it is by far the best site that I know for multi monitoring. okay, I just checked, it was you. But I'd also say it sounds like a power source prob. You should be looking in the 400+Watt range. Also, since that mobo doesnt have mounting holes around the chipset for a different heatsink, I'd suggest attaching a 40mm fan to the existing orange heatsink. A friend had prblems when switching to a GF3 from a GF2MX. After installing a 520W Enermax, and adding a 40mm fan he's running rock stable.
Hope this helps,

Chewie.

Heli - Boarder
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multiple monitors causing K7S5A chipset to overheat ?