Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Matrox Parhelia 512
Ian Kullhem   2002-06-19 04:18
Hey, just thought everyone here would find this interesting. Matrox just announced a new card called the Parhelia 512. It will be available June 30th for an ERP of $399.

This is a tri-monitor card with many nice features. You can stretch the desktop across all three monitors (taskbar stretched) as well as use a really cool feature called Surround Gaming. With surround gaming, the center monitor will display your normal gaming perspective, while the side monitors will display peripheral vision. Really cool, and compatible with a growing list of games.

For more information about the card and it's multi-monitor capabilities, visit their site.

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/parhelia/home.cfm

Laters
--
Ian Kullhem
I-Dawg@totalspeed.net
Nite   2002-06-19 06:09
Yes, and everyone here knew already :)
(there's been a couple of threads about Parhelia for weeks now :)

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
Ian Kullhem   2002-06-19 07:30
ahh, ok.

Didn't see 'em.

*note to self, read more than first page of posts before posting...

--
I-Dawg
I-Dawg@totalspeed.net
Nite   2002-06-19 07:37
a couple of posts would'be been enough :)
(the Matrox G1000 thread is about Parhelia, we didn't know back then that it'll be called Parhelia.)

ohwell.

If anyone knows *ANY* ways to get enough money for Parhelia, let me know. ('till now, nobody has been interested of my left arm.. damn :D )

Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
kuglvinkl   2002-06-19 07:50
If i have allready started with Matrox G1000 post: the card will be available on 30. of Jun.. The reviews will be up on 25.6. (THG, Anandtech, ...). Less than 1 week!!!
kuglvinkl   2002-06-19 07:54
I have ordered one, and will of course do an in-depth review of the multi-monitor features for the site. Ch. St. (admin & owner & ... of this superbe site)

Huray!!!
Ian Kullhem   2002-06-19 07:58
As soon as I'm able to find enough expendable income, I'm going to order one as well. I'm using an old GeForce 2 GTS and 2 Matrox Millenium IIs, so my cards could really use an update.

G1000, that's why I didn't see anything about it. I only got news of it after it had been named.

Can't wait for the review.
--
I-Dawg
I-Dawg@totalspeed.net
kuglvinkl   2002-06-19 09:23
How many monitors do you use? 3?
Ian Kullhem   2002-06-19 16:41
yeah, I've got three monitors. A 17in CRT in the middle (1280x960) and two 15in Flat Panels on the sides (1024x768).
--
I-Dawg
I-Dawg@totalspeed.net
Nite   2002-06-19 18:52
Ian, you got exatcly same setup as me :) (except I'm running GF2Ultra) What OS are you running? If you're uysing XP, please tell me how in the world did you get three monitors to work? :D

(if you read mode posts on this forum or check ou MMGW, you'll notice that I've got "some slight problems" with getting a second PCI card to run in XP :)

Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
Christian Studer   2002-06-20 00:03
Matrox has a page on surround gaming: Surround Gaming Games

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Gabe H   2002-06-23 14:25
This is slightly off topic however I am hoping that you guys are familiar with multi-display setups. I have a setup similar to Ian's; one 21" Monitor with 2 15" LCD's wall mounted on either side. I was wondering if Win2k pro supports a tri-display setup with one AGP dual head Video Card (Radeon VE DD) and one PCI video card (Radeon 7000). I am concerned that it will only allow for a tri-display with 3 separate video cards. If I can get this to work it will cost me less than the new Matrox Parhelia card. Any input/feedback is much appreciated. Thanks

Gabe
Christian Studer   2002-07-09 08:44
GamePC has a review of surround gaming.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Biff   2002-07-13 00:29
Triple head would be awesome for flight simming. With dual head, the runway or enemy MIG you're aiming for is usually right at the split between the two monitors, which completely ruins your accuracy. With triple head it would be in the center of the middle screen.

Short of using multiple PCs and a network along with a program like Wideview, the Parhelia sounds like the best solution you can currently get. But I sincerely hope they'll come up with versions with a faster core soon (like G400-450-550) because the current one sounds a little bit underpowered to be driving 3 screens smoothly.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Matrox Parhelia 512