Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Surround Gaming
DeathScythe676   2002-06-25 01:40
Just so you all know, Toms Hardware Guide just posted its review on the Matrox Parhelia but im disappointed in its brief look at the surround gaming feature. I was wondering is it possible to buy 3 geforce4's to have surround gaming like the Parhelia? I am asking this because after looking at the THG review the parhelia does not have as good performance as a geforce4

Toms Hardware Review
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q2/020625/index.html
Nite   2002-06-25 02:05
Yes and no. You could by one GF4 AGP and 2x GF4M X420 PCI and use the new Detonator's nView to achieve similiar results. (not everything may work as with Parhelia, but most games should.)
But the Parhelia _is_ more powerful than GF4 MX420 and costs much less than those three cards together, so there may not be any point.

Parhelia isn't supposed to be a "GF4-killer", it's supposed to do its job, and do it adequatly even when FAA16x and AF are enabled, and in Surround mode. I haven't seen any tests, but I'm guessing that if they compare Parhelia with Surround Gaming and a GF4 Ti card with dual output, there isn't much guessing which one is the leader.

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
Christian Studer   2002-06-25 02:37
I don't think this would be possible, Windows would have to see the 3 cards as a single large display, and as far as I know the Nvidia drivers don't have this option.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Nite   2002-06-25 03:51
I don't know for sure, but at least awhile back the Win2000-version of the Detonator drivers offered on option named "Treat all nView capable devices as single display", which did exactly that. I have but one nView capable board and WinXP, so I don't know if the option is there anymore or not.

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
Drakk   2002-06-25 15:29
I have a G4 TI4400, and I *HAD* a G4 MX420 and for the life of me I oculd not get it to work. That option you speak of is not in the latest Detonator drivers (which are optimized for the G4's) If anyone knows of a way to get ONE resolution across 3 monitors using 2 G4's please let me know (ie 3072x768)
DeathScythe676   2002-06-26 11:18
if anyone knows of the driver version that has the mode to enable 3 screens into one resolution plz post it here
Tony   2002-06-30 23:42
thread

try that link, it is the other way around though, the tweak activates a checkbox treat seperate nView activeted outputs as seperate displays. (something like that) I needed that function, because my monitors are NOT the same size. I am running Win2k btw, I dunno if this is also possible in WinXP. Good Luck,

Tony.

Heli - Boarder
Drakk   2002-07-04 20:38
Just an update: Still no luck in my search for running 2 G4's and 3 monitors in XP. I really don't think NView, in its current version, supports it at all.
Black Scorpion   2002-08-20 08:12
FINALLY I found some guys who are trying the same, HELL that tooks me time :)

Now as I read here a GF4MxPCI exists.. Hmmm, well, I'll get one this week for testing with my GF4ti4600 running 3 monitors at a time for surround gaming :)

Thnx for the info, leave a msg if interrested of results...

Honestly yours,

Black Scopion

GPL & NWN fan !!!!
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Surround Gaming