Forums -> Multiple monitors -> How to fix windows (like win2k/xp login) that span nView displays?
Carl   2002-06-28 10:18

OK, I have searched the net high and low and can't seem to come up with an answer. I did find that someone has posted a fix for this problem in XFree86 Linux, but I'm wondering if there is a WindowsXP(2000/NT) solution?

The problem, when nView display spanning is enabled on my GeForce4 ti4600 card the display is treated like one large screen. This works just great for everything, but unfortunately the side effect is system-level windows get centered in the middle of this large display area - spanning both monitors. Like the shutting down message box, the windows login promt (no custom XP login screen as a work-around for me... I'm on a domain).

I've searched the net, I've searched the registry... Is there a way (a utility, tweak, fix, etc..) to get those system level windows onto the primary display?

And no, I'm not going to use the standard multi-monitor support ("true" multi-monitor support) option. The performance on the secondary display is abysmal at best for video playback and high speed graphics and sliding an OpenGL window from one screen to another is klunky at best. Those issues are far less productive than the persistantly centered windows. I'm a graphics programmer/animator and need the speed on both displays... I'd just like to clear up this centering window issue - very handy for status bars that pop up in a few apps that can't be drug around, so I have to study them to see what's going on when they're split between 2 screens.

If it makes any difference, I'm running a Gainward 750XP GeForce4 ti4600 - dual DVI port model. I have tried nVidia 28.32 and 29.42 drivers... Both seem very stable and perform well, just the split windows.

Carl
Gaston   2002-07-28 06:28
Perhaps you should trie to run NVIEW as a service.
Bootle   2002-07-29 04:27
Could I trouble you for the whereabouts of the linux fix???? It would be most appreciated

Thanks,
Jim
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> How to fix windows (like win2k/xp login) that span nView displays?