Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Second video card doesnt install properly.
Marc   2002-07-01 00:05
hi,

as i came home after the soccer last night, i noticed that one of my neighbours didnt want their monitor, so I did my bit for the environment.

Ive taken the PCI card from my old P2 and installed in on my new(er) P4 (which has an AGP) except that although Windows XP recognizes and installs the device, it doesnt work. (basically)

The error message XP gives is:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I am wondering whether this is a driver issue, or AGP and PCI issue, etc.

I have not, as yet, mucked around wth the bios.

does this ring bells for anyone?

thanks
Marc
Nite   2002-07-01 06:24
What's the card?
You have to set the PCI card to Primary in BIOS.

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
Marc   2002-07-01 12:37
sorry forgot that, its a fairly old Cirrus Logic 5430/5440, well thats what windows says anyway.

Do I have to make the PCI card my primary display?

what happens then when I want to play games and use HW acceleration and all that stuff. maybe I can change it thru windows then?

thanks
Marc
Nite   2002-07-01 17:05
Set the PCI to Primary in the BIOS, then set your main card (the AGP one) to Primary in WinXP. (in Display Properties, select "Use this display as primary")

Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
daniel   2002-07-08 18:40
As above.....but also make sure your running the latest detonators if its a nvidia card, I forgot about this recently and had a hell of a time getting the device to start under 28.32 dets.....installed 29.42 dets and it all sprung into action.
Shane   2002-07-16 17:27
Im having the same problems. I've tried switching the PCI card to primary but it still doesn't work.

Im running:

Windows xP
Nvidia MX440 (AGP)
Rage Pro Turbo 8mb w/tv-out (PCI)
Nite   2002-07-16 21:09
I'm not sure if this applies to this, but I've had my share of problems trying to get a couple of ATI/S3 adapters to run. Some adapters are quite picky of the slot they want to live in, try relocating the card to different slot. (I recommend the PCI slot1, the S3 ViRGE didn't even start unless it was in the first slot.)

The slot1 usually shares with slot5 and/or the AGP, so make sure at least one of them is empty. sticking two display adapters and a third device into the same IRQ is just asking for trouble :)

Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
xbpv060   2002-07-24 20:44
i had the same problem.

turn off "large system chache". then it works for xp.

xbpv060
Matt Jin   2002-07-26 13:35
Could you tell me how to turn off the large system cache? Thanks.

Matt
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Second video card doesnt install properly.