Forums -> Multiple monitors -> TNT2M64 or GF2MX400 as secondary?
paul   2002-07-28 14:55
Can someone tell me if there are any real advantes of using two GF2MX400 cards as secondary, instead of two TNT2M64. Both 32MB and PCI of course.

I currently have neither of them and the two MX400 would cost me around $40 more than the two TNT2. As far as I understand, the little extra 3D power from the MX400 wouldn't make any difference anyway. Other than that, I guess video overlays should will be available on both the TNT2 or MX400 when used as secondaries (?) Are there any other advantages or disadvantages?
Nite   2002-07-28 17:50
Depends on what you are using as primary?
If you're using a GF2-based card as primary, there's a chance that you might get multi-screen hardware acceleration. (current drivers son't have the option, but I'm sure they really support it, 'cause it *was* there awhile ago)

If you're using something other than GF2, there's really no point.

I'm not sure, but I don't think either of the cards have overlays as secondaries, I think that in most cases only the primary has video overlays. (or the first two in the case of dualhead cards.)

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
paul   2002-07-28 20:42
Are you sure about the lack of overlays? a friend of mine got overlays even on his old voodoo banshee as secondary (some nvidia as primary i think).

About the "chance" of getting hw acceleration (dx only i guess?) on all screens when using an 3x gf2 setup... Do you know any setups where this works for sure, or is it only a question of getting the right drivers rather than the right board/chip revisions or something.
Nite   2002-07-28 22:33
You're friend is either lucky, or about half the people I know are unlucky... hm. Might be the latter, I don't exactly know many lucky people :)

seriously, I was in the belief that windows only allows overlays on the primary card. (at least DVDs play only on primary, of that I'm pretty sure.) Excluding some dualhead/twinview cards.

Its both OpenGL *and* D3D, if it works at all. The question is of drivers. I'm 99% sure that awhile ago some Win2000 Detonators had that option and it worked, but now it's nowhere to be find. basically, if you can get windows to "see" the cards only as one wide desktop, you got HW acceleration on all of them.

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
Christian Studer   2002-07-28 22:45
You'll have video overlays on your secondary cards, only single-chipset dualhead cards have this limitation.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
tom   2002-07-31 17:30
Ok, I'm planning on getting 2 of these as secondaries:

http://www.sparkle.com.tw/product/nvidia/sp6800pci.htm

Note that they are dualhead cards already but i want to use only one monitor on each, leaving the option to add another 2 monitors open for later on (that would be 5 screen, damn ;)

Any reasons against this setup? I don't know about Sparkle, are they any good? When I last checked a few years ago, there wasn't any real difference with all those nvidia based cards (feature and image quality wise i mean).
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> TNT2M64 or GF2MX400 as secondary?