Forums -> Multiple monitors -> full screen game and other stuff at the same time
Philip   2002-08-06 05:02
I dont have a multi monitor setup quite yet. Im in the market for a second vid card, but that is not the point. I was wondering if it is posible to have a full screen game running on one monitor and something else on another. I was thinking of playing a dvd in particular.
tANK   2002-08-06 08:28
I've had the same question. I think it is possible, but I don't have a multi-monitor setup yet as well. Wait for someone else to reply.
Christian Studer   2002-08-06 09:41
I could get it to work on my system (in a limited way), but there are lots of issues:

- your secondary monitor needs to be to the left of the primary, otherwise all applications on the secondary will be moved around when the game changes display resolution

- you need video overlays on the secondary monitor to be able to play DVDs. This rules out most dualhead cards, Parhelia is one exception

- you need a DVD player that a) works fullscreen on secondary monitors and b) stays in fullscreen mode if it isn't the active application. I used Zoom Player for this

I'm using Windows XP, with a GeForce3 for the primary and 2 PCI GeForce2 MX cards for the second and third monitor.

DVD playback works fine on the secondary using Zoom Player, but as soon as I started a fullscreen game (I tested Need for Speed and Unreal Tournament), the DVD player would stop.

Using windowed mode fixed the problem, I was able to play Unreal Tournament while playing a DVD on the secondary.

Unreal Tournament was a bit jerky when the DVD was playing, even with my dual CPU system (2x P2-400 only though).

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Mesh   2002-08-14 02:55
i have a dualhead radeon8500 and a tv wonder tv tuner and ive also beein trying to do things like the tv or a movie on the 2nd monitor while i play games on the main

so far ive had luck only with playing movies in media player even if it doesnt stay fullscreen, i simply put it with least controls visible and maximize the window then use the monitor's horizontal and vertical size adjustments to move the title bar and etc outside the visible screen

still looking for a way to run the tv there and would appreciate any suggestions, at least now i know the 'put 2nd on the left' fix for the resolution change problem.

Mesh
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> full screen game and other stuff at the same time