Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual monitor questions
Thomas   2000-10-02 11:40
I just purchased a new computer workstation. I will be using this computer for 2D CADD drafting (AutoCAD R14/2K, MicroStation J), MS Office and surfing the 'net (Internet Explorer). I would like to set this station up for dual monitors, but I am not sure what hardware (graphics card) I need to achieve what I would like. The following is a hardware break down of the new workstation:

Athlon 1 ghz
Asus A7V M/B
256mb PC133 Ram
16x DVD/ 40x CDROM
32x/8x/4x CDR
250mb internal ZIP
2 x 20.4 GB ATA 100 drives with RAID controller
Soundblaster Live!
CS FPS2000 speakers
MS Keyboard/Explorer mouse
MS Windows 2000 PRO
MS Office 2000 SBE
AutoCAD R14/2000
Microstation J
2 x Sony CPD-G400 19" monitors

I would like to run both monitors at 1600x1200. I will use one monitor for AutoCAD/MicroStation and the second for Office, Explorer, surfing, etc.. Can this be done? if so, what type of graphics card(s) do I need.

In terms of graphics cards, the most important qualities to me are 2D image quality and driver stability. I do very little 3D work and play almost no games.

I have heard that when using dual monitors, the image quality of the secondary monitor is not as good as the primary monitor. I think this was due to RAM DAC speed. Is this true?

Thank you for any insight you can offer.

Thomas Hansen, CET
HANSEN APPLIED TECHNOLOGY
Calgary, Alberta Canada
E-Mail: thansen@oanet.com
Rob   2001-06-22 09:55
Thomas,

Actually, the quality of the secondary video is all apart of the display adapter and the monitor. It would be wiser to obtain two different video cards for this, instead of a multi-head single card. As for your 2D performance, there are all kinds of cards out there that will give you great 2D performance. The older PCI cards are where the quality starts degrading.

Thanks,
Rob Noe
GraphicComputers
David DeCristoforo   2001-06-23 05:12
I'm afraid I have to dissagree. The dual head cards are much easier to set up and are very cost effictive. In addition, you get the benifits of AGP on both monitors and the screens tend to display more consistant colors than when using two different cards. Since you're primary area of interest is not 3D or gaming, I would look at the Matrox dual head cards. The only thing is, since you have a VIA MoBo, you need to be sure to set the card up properly (see my prior post on Matrox / VIA setups).
DD
Norman Brooks   2001-06-28 14:01
I agree with David. A multihead card is the way to go if the drivers are well written. With the 2nd release of the drivers for the ATI Radeon VE, OpenGL and DirectX8.0a and digital are supported on both monitors, with all open applications.

If you are in ANY doubt as to whether your system can handle OpenGL properly, download the screen saver "euphoria".

Euphoria

It should run SILKY SMOOTH across both monitors. I mean silky smooth, no jerkiness.

Guess what ....... it won't unless you're running a dual head card or if your system can run OpenGL on two or more monitors at the same time.

nbrooks@accesscable.net
neal graham   2001-08-03 09:30
gracias, good discussion of pros and cons

neal
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual monitor questions