Forums -> Multiple monitors -> irq conflicts
mike windsor   2002-08-22 15:21
I have a Nvidia Ti 4600 agp card , and installed a Xtasy 5564 pci card for my second monitor . my system crashed . I checked the irq's and can get the agp card on it's own irq , but can't get the pci card on it's own irq .I've also tried changing slots . I'm using windows xp and have a sis k7s5a mother board . I've tried playing around in the bios ( don't really know what I'm doing and it scares me ) , trying to disable plug and play , but the pci card keeps popping onto the most crowded irq and making the system unstable . ---Any ideas ?? Thanks Mike
Nite   2002-08-22 16:33
yep, that's because the ACPI puts every device under IRQ9. You can disable it, but to be on the safe side, a reinstall is needed.

To disable it, go to BIOS and if there is a setting like "ACPI Function" set it to "Disabled".
Then do a clean OS install, but, if you're running 2000/XP, on the first install-screen (the blue-one, when it says something like "press F6 if you need third-party SCSI drivers") you need to press F5 (to be sure, press it enough times :).
Then select "Standard PC" from the list that appears.

You loose some featues doing this. (For example, the computer won't power off automaticall anymore, you need to press the powerbutton.)

There's some other things too, some games work faster, some slower. There was a big article about this somewhere, I try to dig out the address.

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> irq conflicts