Forums -> Multiple monitors -> sound gets distorted when windows move on the secondery monitor
tomer   2000-10-14 05:29
any thoughts ?
Christian Studer   2000-10-14 09:52
I have seen sound distortion when playing videos, I guess the reason is that, due to the additional video card(s) on the PCI bus, the sound card doesn't have enough bandwidth left.

As far as I know, PCI devices have different priority levels assigned to them, maybe it is possible to reduce the priority of a secondary video card to get more bandwidth for the sound card.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Scott   2000-10-14 11:05
Try moving your video card to the bottom of the case. So it looks something like:

---AGP Card----
---PCI Slot---
--Sound Card--
---PCI Slot---
--Video Card--
---PCI Slot---
---ISA slot---

Having your sound card "higher up" or closer to the AGP slot will give it priority over any other card that is below it.
Jeffrey Cornish   2000-10-17 04:19
this is an issue that Appian Graphics has encountered. We have an FAQ that addresses it on our website at http://www.appiangraphics.com/support/faqs/faq020.html

As a favor here is the body of the article:

What if scrolling or moving windows causes streaming audio to stutter and distort with the Jeronimo Pro installed?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When playing a streaming audio file (.mp3, .aux, .mp4, etc.) through the Windows Media Player, or another MP3 player, and simultaneously scrolling an active application, the audio may distort or momentarily pause. This happens even if over 50% of the CPU resources are available in Windows NT4.0 Service Pack 3, and 90% of the system resources are available in Windows 95/98.

This problem can occur with bus-mastering graphics cards designed to the PCI 2.1 specification. These cards have the ability to use PCI retry logic. This logic causes memory transactions that cannot be completed on the PCI bus to be "retried." When these cards "retry," the data path from the system bus to the PCI bus can become blocked. On systems with certain motherboard chipsets, other devices are then prevented from accessing a data path. This can hamper playback of streaming audio because of the frequency of retries generated by the audio playback.

Graphics cards designed to the PCI 2.2 specification address this problem by limiting the use of retry logic.

Jeffrey Cornish
Senior Technical Support Representive
Appian Graphics Technical Support
Christian Studer   2001-06-02 12:49
I just switched from the onboard audio to an Aureal Vortex PCI sound card, and the distortion disappeared, I can play videos fullscreen on secondary monitors without any sound problems!

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> sound gets distorted when windows move on the secondery monitor