Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Play games on secondary monitor
Wisp   2002-08-27 01:13
I got the following config

I want all the programs to start on my primary monitor except games, how can I configure ultramon so it plays my games on the secondary monitor?

I can't use the ultramon extension in the shortcut properties to show the game on the second monitor because it is not a normal windows program but a directX game.

I play games like Q2 and Q3 and it isn't possible to set the output monitor in the config, so it has to be done another way

I already tried to set the game monitor as primary but then ALL the programs start on that monitor and cause a lot of trouble (a lot of times windows appear outside the visible area of the screen)

I hope you understand my post and got some solution for this problem :)
Christian Studer   2002-08-27 01:42
You could change the primary monitor before starting the game. When you open the properties for a shortcut, select the UltraMon - Display tab, then set the GeForce2 MX as primary.

UltraMon will then set the GeForce2 MX as primary, launch the game, and set the G450 as primary again when the game exits.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Wisp   2002-08-27 02:41
Hmm there isn't another solution?
It is a lot work to switch the monitors everytime i want to play a game.

isn't it possible to implement a feature in the next release of ultramon to make a list of programs which will be launched from the secondary monitor?
Christian Studer   2002-08-27 02:44
This wouldn't work because most games will only run on the primary monitor, and there is no way to move them to the other monitor.

Wisp   2002-08-27 02:48
Hmm there must be a workaround for this problem

Can't you make a feature so when specified programs are launched, ultramon switches the monitors (and fixes the wallpapers)

and when the game is closed it switched the monitors back

isn't that possible?
Christian Studer   2002-08-27 02:55
Sure, you can configure the shortcut to the game to change the primary monitor before starting the game, see my previous post in this thread for details.

Support for automatically adjusting the wallpaper will be in the next release.

Wisp   2002-08-27 02:55
well i think your answer works, thnx anyway
Christian Studer   2002-08-27 03:11
As an alternative to customizing the shortcuts, you could also create two different display profiles, one with the GeForce as primary, the other with the Matrox.

It's also possible to change the primary monitor from the UltraMon menu, to enable this option, go to Options > Customization and check 'change the primary monitor'.

Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Play games on secondary monitor