Forums -> Multiple monitors -> OK Mix nVidia/ATI/Matrox AGP & PCI?
Damien   2002-09-02 06:34
I need to drive two LCD monitors, with at least one of them (2048x1536) and preferably both (the other being 1600x1024) via DVI. I know the Gainward GeForce4 PowerPack Ultra/750 XP will do this, but I'm trying to see if there's an alternate solution that is less expensive and quieter. (I'm not a gamer and so I don't need the best performance possible, and I'd much rather trade speed for a quieter fan.)

I can't use an ATI dual-head AGP card because the two monitors have different resolutions and since I'm running Windows 2000 I would not be able to get independent resolutions with HydraVision. Also, ATI told me that if a dual-head card is in the AGP slot, I wouldn't be able to use a PCI card also -- because the PCI card is not compatible with any card that uses dual DACs. (Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure whether she was saying that ATI's PCI card would not work with anyone's dual-head AGP cards or that ATI's dual-head AGP cards would not work with anyone's PCI card.)

And I can't use a Matrox dual-head AGP card because none of them support 2048x1536 DVI. Furthermore, when I asked Matrox about their G450 PCI card (which supports DVI), they said that it's not likely that I would be able to use it along with a non-Matrox AGP video card because the drivers for the non-Matrix AGP card would probably conflict with the Matrox drivers.

I did a search in the Compatibility Database and found some entries with a combination of nVidia/ATI/Matrox AGP & PCI, but compared to a total of 3934 configurations in the database they were just a handful. Unfortunately, the database does not indicate combinations that people tried and found *not* to work.

So can anyone tell me whether they have had success -- or not had success -- mixing an AGP video card from one of nVidia ATI/Matrox with
a PCI video card of another type?

Thanks,

Damien
Nite   2002-09-02 17:21
Currently running V5 + 2xMatrox, was running GeForce2 + 2xMatrox. No probs.

Just look in the database for what PCI card you are getting, some of them (ie. Matrox Millennium) have problems acting as secondaries.

But dunno really, is there any other cards out there than GeForce/Radeon that can do 2048x1536 DVI?

\Nite - "can't rain all the time"
Multi-Monitor Gaming Web
Freddy   2002-09-02 19:20
I had an Nvidia Geforce 2MX AGP in my PC and tried to add a Matrox G450 PCI, but without success. The BIOS complains about a Plug and Play conflict which I can't resolve. If I load the OS anyway (XP Home), the drivers conflict on the I/O and Memory Address ranges. The option to manually assign resources is greyed out, presumably due to the ACPI BIOS.
I've asked around all over the place and nobody can help, so I think you are right to be very wary of this combination.

Fred.
Damien   2002-09-03 15:12
Nite,

>>But dunno really, is there any other cards out there than GeForce/Radeon that can do 2048x1536 DVI?

Where did you hear that GeForce/Radeon that can do 2048x1536 DVI?

I didn't realize it was common knowledge; I heard it from a someone who was told that by IBM regarding their 2048x1536 T210 LCD monitor. (Even though the video card's published specs don't go up that high, when the system boots with the monitor connected the video card reduces its refresh rate to 40 [which is not a problem with LCDs] in order to achieve that resolution. He thinks ATI cards could also do the same.)

Damien
pmurgs   2002-09-18 23:03
I've got a Matrox G450 16Mb PCI card. I've used it under 2000 and XP Pro with no problems with my Asus GF2 GTS and my Gainward GF4 750XP as the primary card.
I have only used them with CRT's though, but can't see how that can make much of a difference to using DVI.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> OK Mix nVidia/ATI/Matrox AGP & PCI?